Old 30-03-2004, 04:03 PM
G-Hoch

Default Dark water?

Hello all, I have a 50 gallon pond with 2 goldfish here in North
Texas, and for some reason the water is very dark and cloudy, there
doesn't seem to be a lot of algae, but I don't ever remember seeing
this before.

Thanks,
Gary
Old 30-03-2004, 08:30 PM
BenignVanilla

"G-Hoch" wrote in message
om...
Hello all, I have a 50 gallon pond with 2 goldfish here in North
Texas, and for some reason the water is very dark and cloudy, there
doesn't seem to be a lot of algae, but I don't ever remember seeing
this before.

Is the water cloudy? green? smelly? Is it nighttime?

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 31-03-2004, 03:21 AM
RichToyBox

If by dark you mean that it looks like tea, then it is probably tannins.
They can be removed by the use of filter charcoal or massive water changes.
The source is usually a tree nearby that has high tannins in the leaves.
--
RichToyBox

om...

Old 01-04-2004, 08:18 PM
G-Hoch

"RichToyBox" wrote in message news:DLoac.40446$K91.103502@attbi_s02...
If by dark you mean that it looks like tea, then it is probably tannins.
They can be removed by the use of filter charcoal or massive water changes.
The source is usually a tree nearby that has high tannins in the leaves.
--
RichToyBox

"G-Hoch" wrote in message
om...
Hello all, I have a 50 gallon pond with 2 goldfish here in North
Texas, and for some reason the water is very dark and cloudy, there
doesn't seem to be a lot of algae, but I don't ever remember seeing
this before.

Thanks,
Gary

Thanks Rich, it was probably tannins. I did a massive water change
and it is clear now, but the algae on the sides of the liner doesn't
look green. I kind of looks dead or dying. Is there any thing that
would cause this? There is a Mulberry tree in my neighbors yard that
has been shedding seeds, so that could have been the reason for the
dark water.

Old 02-04-2004, 03:39 AM
RichToyBox

The algae may just be suffering from a long winters nap. The fish have been
on a diet, that forced the bacteria to be on a diet, and without them
creating nitrates from fish waste, the algae have been on a diet. As soon
as the pond comes alive, the algae will also.
--
RichToyBox

"G-Hoch" wrote in message
om...
"RichToyBox" wrote in message

If by dark you mean that it looks like tea, then it is probably tannins.
They can be removed by the use of filter charcoal or massive water

changes.
The source is usually a tree nearby that has high tannins in the leaves.
--
RichToyBox

om...