Old 01-04-2004, 08:16 PM
Mark Mendell

Default Anacharis is Gone!

Last spring, I bought a TON of anacharis. It flourished, filling up the
bottom of the 15' x 30' x 4' pond. When the ice finally left, the anacharis
was gone! I'm assuming that my fish had a nice winter long snack! The
pond is understocked with fish. I have goldfish and a 4 or 5 smallish Koi.
Anyone have methods of protecting anacharis from the fish in winter?

Thanks!

mark

Old 01-04-2004, 08:16 PM
Gail Futoran

"Mark Mendell" wrote in message
Last spring, I bought a TON of anacharis. It flourished,

filling up the
bottom of the 15' x 30' x 4' pond. When the ice finally

left, the anacharis
was gone! I'm assuming that my fish had a nice winter

long snack! The
pond is understocked with fish. I have goldfish and a 4

or 5 smallish Koi.
Anyone have methods of protecting anacharis from the fish

in winter?

Thanks!

mark

Maybe the thing to do is store some away from
the fish over winter, but leave most in the
pond for the fish, since they seem to use that
as a food source. My pond goldfish ate most
of the anacharis but there was enough left that it's
coming back, plus the anacharis in the two
minnow-only ponds can supplement the plants
in the goldfish pond as needed.

However, aren't koi mostly incompatible with
plants? I don't have koi, so I don't know the
answer, but I thought it was hard to keep plants
in koi ponds.

Gail

Old 01-04-2004, 08:16 PM
Ka30P

My fish also ate a huge pondfull of
anacharis over a winter.

I've grown it inside in a sunny window
over the winter
and it has taken off.

kathy :-)
Old 01-04-2004, 08:16 PM
Ka30P

Old 01-04-2004, 08:16 PM
BenignVanilla

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message
[...]

I am all for save and reuse each year. I am mean hell I saved duckweed and
frogbit in an aquarium. I mean I am El Cheapo no doubt. But anacharis?
Probably easier to just buy a new bunch in the spring. It's super cheap.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Anacharis is Gone! Mark Mendell Ponds 0 01-04-2004 08:16 PM
Pruning anacharis LT Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:22 AM
Anacharis, does it overwinter? Douglas Bolt Ponds 9 30-03-2003 03:08 AM
Elodea, Egeria densa and Anacharis Aqua Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 17-03-2003 04:56 AM
Pruning anacharis Pete in the Colorado Mtns Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 10-02-2003 04:48 PM