Old 06-04-2004, 09:29 PM
Gale Pearce

Default Mice or Moles - Liner friendly?

I just discovered I have mice or moles living in my waterfall mound. The
holes burrowed under the edges of rocks are ~ 1 1/2" in diameter. I set a
trap and caught a rodent with a 4 1/2" long X 1 1/2" diam body - it looks
like a mouse, but larger than any I have caught before - someone suggested
it's a mole
My question is does anyone know if they will chew through EPDM liner? If
not, rather than panic, I will keep trapping them one at a time to avoid
using poison. If they will chew liner, I will have to speed things up a bit.
TIA for any input
Gale :~)

Old 07-04-2004, 12:35 AM
Bill Kerrell

I have a friend in the exterminator business who told me that Ammonia will
chase any rat or mouse from the area. I tried it and it seemed to work with
a problem we had. Ammonia is cheap and its worth a try ...
Bill - Pensacola - FL
******************

Old 07-04-2004, 02:34 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Gale Pearce" wrote in message
I just discovered I have mice or moles living in my waterfall mound. The
holes burrowed under the edges of rocks are ~ 1 1/2" in diameter. I set a
trap and caught a rodent with a 4 1/2" long X 1 1/2" diam body - it looks
like a mouse, but larger than any I have caught before - someone suggested
it's a mole
My question is does anyone know if they will chew through EPDM liner? If
not, rather than panic, I will keep trapping them one at a time to avoid
using poison. If they will chew liner, I will have to speed things up a

bit.
TIA for any input

=============================
I don't think moles would chew through the liner but muskrats will! Here in
TN they're a big problem in some areas. It's my understanding they're not
easy to get rid of either.
--
Carol....
"My house was clean last week, too bad you missed it."

Old 07-04-2004, 03:02 AM

trap em and get em out of there. Ingrid

"Gale Pearce" wrote:

I just discovered I have mice or moles living in my waterfall mound. The
holes burrowed under the edges of rocks are ~ 1 1/2" in diameter. I set a
trap and caught a rodent with a 4 1/2" long X 1 1/2" diam body - it looks
like a mouse, but larger than any I have caught before - someone suggested
it's a mole
My question is does anyone know if they will chew through EPDM liner? If
not, rather than panic, I will keep trapping them one at a time to avoid
using poison. If they will chew liner, I will have to speed things up a bit.
TIA for any input
Gale :~)

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 07-04-2004, 05:32 PM
Ka30P

I have mice that live around my waterfall
and we've had no problems. The only animal
that chewed a bit of exposed liner was a
labrador... ;-)

kathy :-)
Old 07-04-2004, 07:34 PM
Gale Pearce

Thanks for all the responses - I reset the trap after the first one, but it
hasn't been touched. Maybe there was only one, but I always thought they
were in pairs. I will fill the tunnels or openings in a couple of days if I
don't get anymore in the trap
Thanks again Gale :~)

Old 07-04-2004, 08:02 PM
Ka30P

Gale - there is no such thing as
one mouse...
I think they come by the ton.
;-)

kathy :-)
Old 07-04-2004, 08:34 PM
Offbreed

Gale Pearce wrote:

I just discovered I have mice or moles living in my waterfall mound. The
holes burrowed under the edges of rocks are ~ 1 1/2" in diameter. I set a
trap and caught a rodent with a 4 1/2" long X 1 1/2" diam body - it looks
like a mouse, but larger than any I have caught before - someone suggested
it's a mole

A mole is not a rodent, and has a real short tail. A "vole" is a lot
like a mouse and a lot of people can't tell the diff (me, for one),
and there's wild animals that are technically rats, depending on where
you live. I also know areas where hampsters have been released and
they have taken hold very nicely, thankyoutoomuch.

If it has rodent teeth, it'll gnaw.

Old 08-04-2004, 02:02 AM
Sue Walsh

Well I just found a dead mole in my Savio skimmer! As far as I can
tell it did not chew the liner but climbed in over the rocks. First
creature I was happy to see that it had drowned!!

Sue W

Old 09-04-2004, 03:04 AM

rodents have some kinda magnetic attraction to plastic. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 13-04-2004, 03:38 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

rodents have some kinda magnetic attraction to plastic. Ingrid

Especially UV resistant aquarium tubing. Had some in the demo pond filter
and it ate it gone. They seem to leave the black drip tubing alone.... so
far. ~ jan

~ jan (Do you know where your water quality is?)