Old 06-04-2004, 09:29 PM
Waseem

Default Sick Fish, [Shubukin] being bitten by other

Hi

First post here hope you guys can help me out.

To cut a long story short i had some type of infection in my pond
which after treating with all kinds of stuff didn't clear up and i was
advised to use Malachite Green / Formalin , which i have done. Two
does now 1 week apart so far, not sure if its working

I have 1000L pond, in the UK, My water conditions are good these were
the readings abotu 3 weeks ago:

Nitrite = 0 mg/l
Nitrate = 12.5 mg/l
Ammonia = 0.1 mg/l
PH 7

My pond now has: [i have lost 1 comet , and 1 gold fish] no fish loss
for a about 1 1/2 weeks

2 Shubukins [one very ill, big ulcer type thing]
1 sturgeon [looks ok]
1 comet [infected]
1 gold fish [infected]
2 orfes seem ok

My intial questions and reason i came here is:

The injured Shubukin seems ok sometimes ie swims around with the
others etc but it is being "attacked" bitten by the other shubukin ,
where the ulcer is , it doesnt seem to botherd by this, but im sure it
is as it looks to hide. However i took all my plants out as they were
rotting away.

What shall i do ? I can't really divide the pond as its one of those
rigid things all curved so its going to be hard.

Pics of the worst infected fish are he so if anyone could adivse if
the fish is recovering or it looks bad please do, One other person has
told me on a forum it looks likes its healing but im not too sure.

http://www.zaytoonmedia.com/illfish/IMAGE_00035.jpg

http://www.zaytoonmedia.com/illfish/IMAGE_00043.jpg

http://www.zaytoonmedia.com/illfish/IMAGE_00033.jpg

I have used a couple of other forums before i found this for advise
on the issue of the infection in the pond, so for background please
see these two posts...

http://www.tropicalfish.site5.com/tf...ghlight=waseem

and

http://www.uk.gardenweb.com/forums/l...1563768.html?9

As i said this is my first post so if i have broken any rules or
demanded too much from anyone i apologise

Waseem
Old 06-04-2004, 09:29 PM
Charles

On 6 Apr 2004 12:38:33 -0700, (Waseem) wrote:

[...]

Can you put it in an aquarium for a while to let it heal? Add salt,
but not with the malachite/formalin. I have one of my pond fish in a
hospital tank right now, came back from surgery.

--

- Charles
-

Old 08-04-2004, 10:32 AM
groovy

"Charles" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.tropicalfish.site5.com/tf...6d384fd8829686

8b99477d0248&threadid=39205&highlight=waseem

and

http://www.uk.gardenweb.com/forums/l...1563768.html?9

As i said this is my first post so if i have broken any rules or
demanded too much from anyone i apologise

Waseem

Can you put it in an aquarium for a while to let it heal? Add salt,
but not with the malachite/formalin. I have one of my pond fish in a
hospital tank right now, came back from surgery.

- Charles

I agree, get the sick one separated so you can treat more easily. Even a
plastic
bucket will do so long as you have an airstone. Watch out for temperature
shock during the transfer though.

I'm a bit concerned that your plants are also rotting, did your dad treat
for chlorine when he did the water change?

Old 08-04-2004, 04:35 PM
Waseem

Hi

Thanks for all the help... BUT the fish died last night, it was really
ill, it was a fighter but couldnt take anymore , the ulcer was very
deep, was white around the edges dont know if that meant it was
healing or not.

I have two more fish with symptoms, (already lost 3) one comet small
infection on the back near the fin, one Gold fish about 3 small white
marks.

These two look healthier, but dont want them to go down the same
route... how will i know if the mlachite worked and the pond is clear?

How long does it take for ulcers to heal, these are not open ulcers as
yet

Also yes my dad did add tap safe stuff to the water he always does.

Once again thanks for the help.

Waseem

Old 09-04-2004, 04:04 AM
Judi9000

I've used Melafix for quick healing of ulcers, frayed fins, etc. it worked
really well for me.
Old 09-04-2004, 08:03 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Waseem,

Forgive my bluntness, but forget the fish and fix your water quality. You
need to be checking your ammonia daily, till it stays at 0. If not 0 you
need to use an ammonia binder, with a showing of ammonia you'll also
eventually get a showing of nitrite, this can be detoxed with salt.

Beside pH you need to know your KH, without adequate KH, a pH test tells
one nothing as it flops AM to PM.

Once you fix your WQ, you can fix your fish, or most likely be surprised
that they have the ability to fix themselves in pristine water. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a