Old 07-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Trevor

Default Best Lights for a Koi Pond

Hi

I am just about to assist my friend in building a 12 000 litre koi pond.
It will be made from cement blocks and rendered in waterproofed plaster
and finally fibreglassed.

So the lights will be incorporated into the walls during construction.

Are there any particular lamp types that provide the best night time
viewing. Lights that can really bring out the colour of the fish like
aquarium florescent lights do?

Would LED lamps be good?

Thanks\\Trevor

Old 07-04-2004, 06:03 PM
Snooze

"Trevor" wrote in message
news
Hi

I am just about to assist my friend in building a 12 000 litre koi pond.
It will be made from cement blocks and rendered in waterproofed plaster
and finally fibreglassed.

So the lights will be incorporated into the walls during construction.

Are there any particular lamp types that provide the best night time
viewing. Lights that can really bring out the colour of the fish like
aquarium florescent lights do?

Would LED lamps be good?

Thanks\\Trevor

If the lamps are going to be embedded into the walls of pond, get lamps that
will last a long time. If you use lamps that are placed infront of the
walls, so they can be taken out of the pond as and replaced as needed you're
probably better off.

LED lamps have improved a lot in the past few years, but I don't think
they're bright enough yet. to light up a pond properly.

Sameer

Old 08-04-2004, 11:02 AM
Glen Harris

Snooze wrote:
LED lamps have improved a lot in the past few years, but I don't think
they're bright enough yet. to light up a pond properly.

How does 105 Lumens sound? It's expensive, though. The 1W LEDs are
a whole lot cheaper, but they only put out 25 Lumens. Their brightest
offerning is a 18 LED board which puts out 450 Lumens - and it only
needs a piddling 1A @ 21V. ;-)

http://www.luxeonstar.com

There's some app notes and a landscaping design guide at
http://www.lumileds.com/solutions/solution.cfm?id=7

glen.