Old 09-04-2004, 11:04 PM
stricks760

Default Little Black Snails

I just noticed little black snails (about the size of a pencil eraser) all
over in my waterfalls. Probably hundreds of them. None in the pond, yet.

Will they hurt anything? If I want to get rid of them, can it be reasonably
done, or should I leave them alone? None in the pond, because my Koi ate
them, or maybe they just haven't gotten there yet?

What's strange is that I started my pond last September, and no signs of
them whatsoever until about two weeks ago (and no new plants either). Where
did they come from? I'm kind of averse to snails, unless they come with a
little fork and lots of garlic butter sauce.

Thanks

Old 10-04-2004, 02:02 AM
Ka30P

Stricks wrote What's strange is that I started my pond last September, and no
signs of
them whatsoever until about two weeks ago (and no new plants either). Where
did they come from?

I've never been able to keep snails with koi.
They ate them. But they survived in the filter.

They probably came in as eggs on plants when you put your pond together last
September and wintered over as eggs hatching out in the warm weather.

kathy :-)
Old 10-04-2004, 02:02 AM
RichToyBox

"stricks760" wrote in message
ink.net...
I just noticed little black snails (about the size of a pencil eraser) all
over in my waterfalls. Probably hundreds of them. None in the pond, yet.

Will they hurt anything? If I want to get rid of them, can it be

reasonably
done, or should I leave them alone? None in the pond, because my Koi ate
them, or maybe they just haven't gotten there yet?

What's strange is that I started my pond last September, and no signs of
them whatsoever until about two weeks ago (and no new plants either).

Where
did they come from? I'm kind of averse to snails, unless they come with a
little fork and lots of garlic butter sauce.

Thanks

The koi think they come with a fork and lots of butter sauce too. I have
had snails in the veggie filters, on spillways, even inside the bubblebead
filters, but never seen one in the pond. The koi love escargot.
--
RichToyBox