Old 10-04-2004, 01:32 PM
KRF

Default How do I lower my PH?

Just set my pond up Wednesday. Tested my Ph yesterday, and it 7.5.
How do I lower it to 7 or below. The book I have from the Library, say
a little under 7 is ideal for plants and fish, is this true? Thanks

Old 10-04-2004, 02:04 PM
Jim Humphries

Ideal for many fish is nearer to 8. pH 7.5 is OK.
--
Jim and Sara Humphries, Victoria, BC

Old 10-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Rich

Your are right Plants like it a little lower then the fish. You have to come
up with a happy medium.
Her we have acid rain and I always had to up mine. with a little baking
soda. I mixed it in a jar first 1 teaspoon in 8 oz of water and dumped it
in.

Old 10-04-2004, 04:04 PM
~ Windsong ~

"KRF" wrote in message

Just set my pond up Wednesday. Tested my Ph yesterday, and it 7.5.
How do I lower it to 7 or below. The book I have from the Library, say
a little under 7 is ideal for plants and fish, is this true? Thanks

==============================
My plants, koi and goldfish are thriving and my water stays around 7.8.
--
Carol....
"Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again..."

Old 11-04-2004, 02:33 AM
RichToyBox

Don't. The chemicals used to lower pH destroy the alkalinity or KH. The KH
is a buffer that helps stabilize the pH. If the KH is lost, then you are
more likely to have a pH crash at worst or very unstable pH at best.
Neither is good for fish. The fish will do fine in almost any stable pH
from about 6.5 to 9.0. Some plants utilize nutrients better in lower pH
ranges, but if the pH is jumping from 6.5 in the morning to 9.5 in the
afternoon, then I don't think the plants will like it either.
--
RichToyBox

Old 12-04-2004, 02:35 PM
KRF

I was intending on Goldfish, comet, shubunkin, fantail, Some mixed
plants. I;m not sure about KH. I ordered a new kit for my Reef and am
going to use it to test the pond. In my reef though it usually runs
around 12 dkh