Old 14-04-2004, 11:33 PM
Folklore

Default Water still brown ?

I have a 500g pond in MN. Ice has been off of it for about 3 or 4
weeks now, 3 shebunkin are swimming around (when I can see them) and
today I yanked out the bottom filter/bubbler that I use during the
winter and started up the skimmer. The water is still really brown.
It seems that most years the brown stage lasted less than a week and
then it cleared before all the algae started to grow.

Any thoughts on this long brown period? Anything to worry about?

Thanks,

Folk...

Old 15-04-2004, 06:33 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Have you cleaned the leaves out of the pond? Brown water is usually caused
by Tannins (from leaves). Remove the leaves and do water changes....
20%/week. Do you know where your water quality parameters are? ~ jan

Old 15-04-2004, 06:33 PM
Folklore

The bottom of the pond is at about 42" and I can only see down about
6". Early winter there were no leaves on the bottom, so I'd be
surprised if there were (m)any now. PH is at about 9. Nitrates and
Nitrites I think are OK (I'm using a rapidtest kit and both come up a
slight orange/brown colre, but neither are at all pink or magenta)

Any thoughts on how to clear the water up enough to see if there are
leaves that need to be cleaned out of the bottom? Also, if there are
alot of leaves, what dangers are there in disturbing the bottom. I've
worried about that everytime I scoop stuff up and the water in the
pond gets really foul.

Thanks,

Old 16-04-2004, 01:04 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 12:02:41 -0500, Folklore wrote:

The bottom of the pond is at about 42" and I can only see down about
6". Early winter there were no leaves on the bottom, so I'd be
surprised if there were (m)any now.

Unless you had the pond screened all winter, I'd be surprised if there
weren't any, unless you have no trees and no wind in your area.

PH is at about 9. Nitrates and
Nitrites I think are OK (I'm using a rapidtest kit and both come up a
slight orange/brown colre, but neither are at all pink or magenta)

Any thoughts on how to clear the water up enough to see if there are
leaves that need to be cleaned out of the bottom?

Beyond my suggestion of 20%/week water change out? Or did you miss
that? ;o)

Also, if there are
alot of leaves, what dangers are there in disturbing the bottom. I've
worried about that everytime I scoop stuff up and the water in the
pond gets really foul.

I know Ingrid has talked about using PP to detox. foul water. Perhaps
she'll see this and give you the ratio. ~ jan

Said:

Have you cleaned the leaves out of the pond? Brown water is usually caused
by Tannins (from leaves). Remove the leaves and do water changes....
20%/week. Do you know where your water quality parameters are? ~ jan

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 17:15:51 -0500, Folklore wrote:

I have a 500g pond in MN. Ice has been off of it for about 3 or 4
weeks now, 3 shebunkin are swimming around (when I can see them) and
today I yanked out the bottom filter/bubbler that I use during the
winter and started up the skimmer. The water is still really brown.
It seems that most years the brown stage lasted less than a week and
then it cleared before all the algae started to grow.

Any thoughts on this long brown period? Anything to worry about?

Thanks,

Folk...

~ jan (Do you know where your water quality is?)

Old 17-04-2004, 03:20 PM
Folklore

Thanks Jan.

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 05:26:36 GMT, ~ jan JJsPond.us

Old 17-04-2004, 07:47 PM
Folklore

Old 17-04-2004, 08:04 PM

one swipe of a net will tell you if the bottom is full of leaves.
if not, then you need some heavy duty filtering material, like polyester batting to
get the floating gunk out.
if you got leaves, then use PP to instantly detox the gases you stir up.
http://puregold.aquaria.net/pg/disea....htm#POTASSIUM
Ingrid

Any thoughts on how to clear the water up enough to see if there are
leaves that need to be cleaned out of the bottom?
Also, if there are
alot of leaves, what dangers are there in disturbing the bottom. I've
worried about that everytime I scoop stuff up and the water in the
pond gets really foul.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 17-04-2004, 08:09 PM
Folklore

Old 17-04-2004, 08:12 PM
Folklore

Thanks Ingrid!

I assume that my PH of 9 is too high for PP. Where do I need to get
it before using your suggestions?

You mention 'when light pink turns yellow'. Are you referring to the
water in the pond or a rapidtest kind of thing?

Is it best to do this on a cloudy day or at the end of the day (eg,
avoid direct sunlight)?

Thanks,

Folk...

Old 17-04-2004, 09:05 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I assume that my PH of 9 is too high for PP. Where do I need to get
it before using your suggestions?
Folk...

Regarding this pH of 9.... what kind of testor are you using and how old is
it? You might want to run a sample in to a "good" fish store and see what
they come up with. ~ jan
~ jan (Do you know where your water quality is?)
Old 18-04-2004, 03:08 AM

wowo... down to 7.5 or so would be good. water in teh pond turns to yellow. it
usually takes most of a day to clean out a pond. start early. this isnt treatment,
it is prevention. when you are done, dump in a pint of hydrogen peroxide to clear
the PP. Ingrid

Folklore wrote:

Thanks Ingrid!

I assume that my PH of 9 is too high for PP. Where do I need to get
it before using your suggestions?

You mention 'when light pink turns yellow'. Are you referring to the
water in the pond or a rapidtest kind of thing?

Is it best to do this on a cloudy day or at the end of the day (eg,
avoid direct sunlight)?

Thanks,

Folk...

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 22-04-2004, 06:03 AM
k conover

I just cleaned out tons of dead leaf matter from my pond with my hands--just
scooping the stuff off the bottom and chucking it over the edge of the pond
onto the lawn (temporarily!) I got tons out and ended up with much muddier
water from stirring everything up. I finally figured out that I needed to
re-clean the filter after having all this stuff released from the bottom,
and since then the water's getting clearer every day.
Kirsten
s.com...

Still brown Algae...Help DD DDD Ponds 3 23-06-2005 04:19 AM
Green water, to Brown water, back to Green again! Ka30P Ponds 5 31-08-2004 07:10 AM