Old 30-04-2004, 06:06 PM
Edward Haworth

Default Help training shy Koi - test results.

Ammonia, nitrite are negative, nitrate is just a trace 10 mg/l.
KH is about 10 dH
GH is 16 dH
pH is 7.6

I can only compare to aquarium water but the only one of these
parameters that is slightly concerning is the GH - this is due to the
hard water that originally filled the pond and there is very little I
can do about this. Certainly other Koi have been fine in this pond in
the past, again in hard London water.

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:18:32 GMT, ~ jan JJsPond.us

NUMBER ONE RULE OF PONDING:

#1 Whenever fish, new or old, are acting in a way you don't approve
(nagging uncomfortable feeling on your part) Check your water quality,
ammonia, nitrite, pH, KH & nitrate. Then report here.

Now if I could only teach BV to paste that, along with his patience quote
(which is the #2 rule), I'd be a happy rec.ponder. ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 02:42:17 +0100, Edward Haworth wrote:

About 6 weeks ago I restocked the pond with some young Koi (~2" mixed
colour mostly but two 4" ghosts as well).

I appreciate that fish usally take a while to become acclimatised to a
new home but they have been constantly hiding, mostly grouped together
underneatha patch where the liner overhangs. They ignore all food
(there is plenty of crap on the bottom for them to eat a this time of
year though). By this point, late spring, I'd have expected them to
start coming out of their shells a bit and maybe taking the odd food
stick.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I could help calm them down a
bit (they are in no danger from predators, its a steep walled central
London pond so no Herons/Kingfishers etc.). Water lilies are just
starting to open and I imagine these will help.

I'm not worried aobut their health, they seem well and active when
spooked.

Cheers,
Ed