Old 29-04-2004, 03:19 AM
Edward Haworth

Default Help training shy Koi

About 6 weeks ago I restocked the pond with some young Koi (~2" mixed
colour mostly but two 4" ghosts as well).

I appreciate that fish usally take a while to become acclimatised to a
new home but they have been constantly hiding, mostly grouped together
underneatha patch where the liner overhangs. They ignore all food
(there is plenty of crap on the bottom for them to eat a this time of
year though). By this point, late spring, I'd have expected them to
start coming out of their shells a bit and maybe taking the odd food
stick.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I could help calm them down a
bit (they are in no danger from predators, its a steep walled central
London pond so no Herons/Kingfishers etc.). Water lilies are just
starting to open and I imagine these will help.

I'm not worried aobut their health, they seem well and active when
spooked.

Cheers,
Ed
Old 29-04-2004, 06:03 AM
BenignVanilla

"Edward Haworth" wrote in message
[...]

Patience young padawon. Sit by the pond, and let them see you. It helps to
drink a beer or two whilst you do this.

BV.

Old 29-04-2004, 07:03 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Especially Guinness Stout!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 29-04-2004, 01:04 PM
Happy'Cam'per

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
.. .
Especially Guinness Stout!

LOL...Alcoholic Koi Keepers.
FWIW, Guinness is especially good for vegetarians and ladies on their period
as it contains a high count of iron!
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Old 29-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Steve and Lisa

For hubby it's New Castle Brown ...and he actually does drink it by the pond
in a pint glass (bought some for him at World market that are the real
thing). If he can't find Newkie Brown ......then he'll settle for
Boddingtons in the can with a widget or a Fosters Bitter. True Englishmen
love their lager. (I prefer a Shandy myself or a glass of Sangria.)

Lisa

ps....we do have two new tiny butterfly koi that stick together and don't
seem to enjoy eating with the other 4 fish we have.

Old 29-04-2004, 05:10 PM
Edward Haworth

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 00:34:01 -0400, "BenignVanilla"
wrote:

Patience young padawon. Sit by the pond, and let them see you. It helps to
drink a beer or two whilst you do this.

BV.

Thanks - I'll try and be more patient. The weather is just getting to
the point where I can indeed drink a few beers by the pond (not the
last few days though!).
Ed
Old 29-04-2004, 05:11 PM
Benign Vanilla

wrote:

Patience young padawon. Sit by the pond, and let them see you. It helps

drink a beer or two whilst you do this.

BV.

Thanks - I'll try and be more patient. The weather is just getting to
the point where I can indeed drink a few beers by the pond (not the
last few days though!).

I have learned over the past year or so the only thing that is more
important then water in your pond, is patience in the ponder.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 29-04-2004, 06:04 PM
joe

Oh good, drunken, vegan, women on their period.

Joe

Old 29-04-2004, 07:04 PM
Benign Vanilla

"joe" wrote in message
Oh good, drunken, vegan, women on their period.

SOMLOL.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 30-04-2004, 04:07 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

NUMBER ONE RULE OF PONDING:

#1 Whenever fish, new or old, are acting in a way you don't approve
(nagging uncomfortable feeling on your part) Check your water quality,
ammonia, nitrite, pH, KH & nitrate. Then report here.

Now if I could only teach BV to paste that, along with his patience quote
(which is the #2 rule), I'd be a happy rec.ponder. ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 30-04-2004, 04:07 PM
Benign Vanilla

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
s.com...
NUMBER ONE RULE OF PONDING:

#1 Whenever fish, new or old, are acting in a way you don't approve
(nagging uncomfortable feeling on your part) Check your water quality,
ammonia, nitrite, pH, KH & nitrate. Then report here.

Now if I could only teach BV to paste that, along with his patience quote
(which is the #2 rule), I'd be a happy rec.ponder. ;o) ~ jan

ooh...I love lists...let's keep this thread alive...

1. Whenever fish, new or old, are acting in a way you don't approve (nagging
uncomfortable feeling on your part) Check your water quality, ammonia,
nitrite, pH, KH & nitrate. Then report here.

2. The only thing more important then water in the pond, is patience in the
ponder. Most problems can be solved by just sitting patiently and letting
nature take control. This rule is invalid unless rule #1 has been observed.

3. Algae are not bad.

Old 30-04-2004, 05:04 PM
Just Me \Koi\

So since I am a meat eating man where does that live me in my relationship
with Guinness?

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"Happy'Cam'per" wrote in message
.. .

Old 30-04-2004, 05:05 PM
Just Me \Koi\

You left off the beer in the hand! That's the most critical part of
patience Dude!

--
_______________________________________

Old 30-04-2004, 05:05 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
So since I am a meat eating man where does that live me in my relationship
with Guinness?

snip

A perfect basis for us to get together if you are ever in the Baltimore
area.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 30-04-2004, 06:05 PM
joe

I think we should have the "Million Man Beer March"

Joe