Old 02-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Carl Beyer

Default Veggie Filter question

Does a good veggie filter provide sediment filtration? If not, can it
be easily and low maintenance (ly) included? I have a 500 gallon that
is over stocked, and have to travel for work so sometimes a week will go
by witout picking out the leaves. Apparantly it was pretty windy while
i was gone, and a lot of leaves settled or got sucked up making for fine
debris in the pond...

My current filtration is a Fluidized Sand Filter (works amazing and home
built), a UV attached to that. and a seperate lava rock filter (trash
can filled with lava rock).

thanks to all for any advice

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com
Old 02-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Bonnie

Carl Beyer wrote:
Does a good veggie filter provide sediment filtration? If not, can it
be easily and low maintenance (ly) included? I have a 500 gallon that
is over stocked, and have to travel for work so sometimes a week will go
by witout picking out the leaves. Apparantly it was pretty windy while
i was gone, and a lot of leaves settled or got sucked up making for fine
debris in the pond...

My current filtration is a Fluidized Sand Filter (works amazing and home
built), a UV attached to that. and a seperate lava rock filter (trash
can filled with lava rock).

thanks to all for any advice

My veggie filter is 700 gallons. The first stage is filled
with polyester screening (like window screen) and that does
the mechanical filtration. The water from 2 ponds goes into
this, then the water flows through the plants and then
finally it enters the bioballs. From there it flows back
into the upper pond.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 02-05-2004, 08:06 PM

you can if you want. I have a big roll of course filter material which slows the
speed of the flowing water and the crud drops out. I think it helps that my veggie
filter is long. I use a wet/dry vac to suck out the collected mulm in fall just
after I stop the veggie filter. if the pump wont move the leaves into the filter of
course, it wont filter them out. Ingrid

Carl Beyer wrote:

Does a good veggie filter provide sediment filtration? If not, can it
be easily and low maintenance (ly) included? I have a 500 gallon that
is over stocked, and have to travel for work so sometimes a week will go
by witout picking out the leaves. Apparantly it was pretty windy while
i was gone, and a lot of leaves settled or got sucked up making for fine
debris in the pond...

My current filtration is a Fluidized Sand Filter (works amazing and home
built), a UV attached to that. and a seperate lava rock filter (trash
can filled with lava rock).

thanks to all for any advice

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:06 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Carl Beyer" wrote in message
Does a good veggie filter provide sediment filtration? If not, can it
be easily and low maintenance (ly) included? I have a 500 gallon that
is over stocked, and have to travel for work so sometimes a week will go
by witout picking out the leaves. Apparantly it was pretty windy while
i was gone, and a lot of leaves settled or got sucked up making for fine
debris in the pond...

My current filtration is a Fluidized Sand Filter (works amazing and home
built), a UV attached to that. and a seperate lava rock filter (trash
can filled with lava rock).

snip

My VF is actually two smaller ponds. The first pond is gravity fed by my
bottom drain. The pump is in this pond, and pumps water UP to a larger
ponder which overflows to a stream back to the main pond. I do not use any
filter media other then the plants and the baskets full of rocks that they
are planted in. My VF is only 16 inches deep or so at the deepest point, and
both of the small ponds are bowl shaped. The bowl shape is a bit difficult
to work with from a potted plant POV, but it really helps with the sediment
getting collected in the middle. Makes for easy cleanup.

This time of year my VF is way ugly, nothing as nice as Ingrid's. I have a
lot of liner showing and most everything is dead around it. But as the
plants grow in, in the VF, and around the VF and the ones around VF crawl
into the VF, the whole area becomes quite beautiful.

Where was I? Oh yeah sediment. The long, narrow, shallow VF will by design
cause a lot of sediment to fall out. I am sure some filter media would help,
but I bet with just a healthy dose of plants, you'd be fine too.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 03-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Carl Beyer

thanks to all for the advice.. It sounds like a pleasant and productive
idea to put in a veggie filter, so maybe it will be this summers project.

Thanks again

Carl

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com

veggie filter plumbing question Mark Bannister Ponds 14 02-11-2004 08:42 PM
Veggie Filter? Sam Hopkins Ponds 6 19-11-2003 01:42 AM
Hyrbid UV + Veggie Filter Question Critical Popperian Ponds 1 02-09-2003 04:32 PM
veggie filter question Priscilla McCullough Ponds 3 30-04-2003 03:44 PM
Sun and the Veggie Filter BenignVanilla Ponds 1 30-01-2003 10:12 PM