Old 08-05-2004, 01:05 AM
Mickey

Default What planting medium for Lotus.

I see all kinds of recommendations in web searches I am looking for real
world experience. I am putting these in a veggie filter so there is water
flow into the filter and out about 2500 gph. The a settling chamber / veggie
filter is 2 foot wide by 16 foot long.
I am eventually want the Lotus in pots so they can be removed for the
winter. The pots type is still undecided but with the recommendations I see
for a rich soil, mesh pots do not seem like the best idea. Doesn't the soil
end up sifting out? Would a large plastic container be better? I have 5
gallon plastic containers used for trees I could use. One lotus per pot
maybe 10 - 15 pots. Fill them with a potting soil that does not have any of
that white Perlite stuff?? Anyway HELP????
I have the Lotus seed in a jar soaking for a couple of days. Once they
swell up and start to sprout I am going to move them to 4" clay pots
immersed under a few inches of water for a couple of weeks until they start
growing well and take root. Then I am going to need a large container so I
can move them to the pond.

Old 08-05-2004, 03:07 PM

dont put the lotus in the veggie filter with flowing water.
how deep is the veggie filter? that is a good width and length.
the Pond Lady puts lotus into sealed pots cause once they are growing well they are
heavy feeders and need lots of fert. good loam is the best. right, nothing that
floats away. Ingrid

"Mickey" wrote:
[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:05 PM
Mickey

The filter is about 24" deep at the back and about 16" at the front. I
was hoping to put the Lotus in the Veggie filter so they could get the
nutrient from the return water. I will be using a large plastic sealed
container for each Lotus seed.
What is the reason not to put the Lotus in the Veggie Filter? Otherwise
I would have to put them in the pond and the Koi would make a mess. The
Veggie Filter is bigger than some peoples pond.

"Mickey" wrote:
[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 09-05-2004, 02:04 AM
RichToyBox

One, if lotus are not contained in a pot, they will grow and grow and grow,
and you will not be able to remove them from the are in a few short years.
Two, I believe the tubers are too tender to be growing in a gravel media,
they need a good mud medium.
--
RichToyBox

"Mickey" wrote:
[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 10-05-2004, 12:04 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

IMHO, in a VF you want plants that don't need soil. Plants that can be held
in their mesh pots with a few big rocks so the roots are in good contact
with the flowing water. ~ jan

Old 11-05-2004, 04:05 AM
Benign Vanilla

"Mickey" wrote in message
[...]

Lotus is not a great filter plant, mostly because the tubors need to be
planted in a material like soil or clay, so their roots don't have the
direct exposure with the water that you'd want from a VF plant like Water
Hyacinth, Lettuce or Celery. Also, the lotus have LARGE leaves both floating
on the water and as aerials above the water's surface, so your VF surface
will be reduced nearly nothing once the lotus go crazy. For a VF, you want
maximum root surface area exposed to the water. You won't get that with
lotus, I am afraid.

BV.