Old 08-05-2004, 11:03 PM
Alex Woodward

Default Fish and pond lights

I am a newbie to garden ponds and fish. If I add lights, will they have any
detrimental effect on fish I add when the pond is fully established?

Alex

Old 09-05-2004, 12:06 AM
Mosfunland

I think the underwater light I have seems to give them something to play
in.....in the warm summer months the fish look so coooool. The landscape
lights shimmer off the water. Only detrimental effect I have seen in the one
in my wallet.....big grin....since I tend to have friends over more often,
thus the consuming of food and favorite beverages.

Maureen
Old 09-05-2004, 12:07 AM
Alex Woodward

"Mosfunland" wrote in message
I think the underwater light I have seems to give them something to play
in.....in the warm summer months the fish look so coooool. The landscape
lights shimmer off the water. Only detrimental effect I have seen in the

one
in my wallet.....big grin....since I tend to have friends over more

often,
thus the consuming of food and favorite beverages.

Maureen

Thanks. Assuming I don't add chemicals to the water, how long would you
expect it to take for the pond to be ready for fish (after plants have been
put in)

Alex

Old 09-05-2004, 06:04 AM
Snooze

"Alex Woodward" wrote in message

Thanks. Assuming I don't add chemicals to the water, how long would you
expect it to take for the pond to be ready for fish (after plants have

been
put in)

Alex

Set up the pond, add the water, let it run for a day, then add the plants,
let it run for a day like that, then add a fish or two.

Your initial fish will act as canaries, if there is anything bad in the
pond, if 2 fish die, it's cheaper then losing the entire school. Plus the
first two fish help build up the bacteria level, to the point where it can
handle an entire school's worth of waste.

Sameer

Old 09-05-2004, 11:06 PM
Alex Woodward

"Snooze" wrote in message
m...

"Alex Woodward" wrote in message

Thanks. Assuming I don't add chemicals to the water, how long would you
expect it to take for the pond to be ready for fish (after plants have

been
put in)

Alex

Set up the pond, add the water, let it run for a day, then add the plants,
let it run for a day like that, then add a fish or two.

Your initial fish will act as canaries, if there is anything bad in the
pond, if 2 fish die, it's cheaper then losing the entire school. Plus the
first two fish help build up the bacteria level, to the point where it can
handle an entire school's worth of waste.

Sameer

Seems good advice. I'll do it.

Thanks
Alex.

Old 11-05-2004, 04:18 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Alex,

If you plan to have a koi pond, don't put in cheap comet goldfish. Use, at
least, easy to catch fantail goldfish or a couple of cheap koi. After you
get 2 in the pond, put 2 in a quarantine tank. Here's why:
http://www.koivet.com/html/articles/...t%20 Articles

(Could someone put that in a tiny URL if it wraps? It's not wrapped on my
screen. ) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

New pond and lights colin s Ponds 14 21-01-2005 10:24 AM
Xavan pond liner/ pond lights David Ponds 1 21-07-2003 06:54 PM
Xavan pond liner/ pond lights David Ponds 0 20-07-2003 11:33 PM
Lights On / Lights Off... is this OK? Bill Beam Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:22 AM
Lights On / Lights Off... is this OK? Bill Beam Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 15-02-2003 01:54 PM