Old 09-05-2004, 05:05 AM
CC

Default Red eyed Koi

Hello. I had a number of Koi hinerited from the previous occupants of the
house, one of the koi was all white with a couple of orange spots and bright
red eyes (I think the skin was red around it as well).
They are all dead now (see other post) but I am curious if I can get another
like him. He was my buddy and I miss him.
I have seen koi like that in japanese ink drawings before. The aquariums
stores have no idea.

Thank you

Old 09-05-2004, 07:05 AM
Just Me \Koi\

I don't know the answer, but may I suggest that you stay away from
aquarium/pet stores. They usually give horrible advice when it comes to
pond!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 09-05-2004, 09:02 PM
CC

Hi, this is strange. Last night I posted a thread named "red eyed
koi". Today I see that my post is actually #2 in a thread about
someone that has hatched red eyed koi (I mean, their fish did, I
presume). How did this happened? Did we post the same title and Usenet
bundled us together? I used Usenet 10-15 years ago, until 1994 and I
don't remember this feature.

To answer OP, according to my experience, if I hadn't killed him by
mistake, my red eyed koi was healthy and vigorous, in fact he was the
leader of the pack. Not that it means anything to OP.

I don't think that they are albinos, or if they are they don't look
like they are weaklings. As I said I have seen many paintings with
such fish depicted and they are obviously prized and relatively rare.

BTW, I am posting with a different ID because my newsreader is acting
funky and I can't see the responses to my threads.

Old 10-05-2004, 02:05 AM
RichToyBox

The kohaku koi are white with red spots. A tancho kohaku only has a single
red spot on its head. It is a demerit for the red to run down over the
eyes, though it is a small demerit if everything else is good. If the red
in the skin goes across the eye, the eye will pick up some of the color.
--
RichToyBox