Old 13-05-2004, 04:03 AM
JeffC

Default Pond Algae

Hi - my neighbor has a 1 acre stock pond that get's covered in Algae all
summer long. I've heard that throwing cut up Sheetrock help dissapate it.
He's all for it but neither of us know what damage we might do. There are
currently no fish in it but a lot of frogs and turtles.

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 16-05-2004, 08:02 AM
Sean Dinh

Sheetrock is gypsum. Read below...
http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/manag/clearpon/

Old 17-05-2004, 12:07 AM
Stephen M. Henning

That website is about managing muddy water (suspended clay) and has
nothing to do with the algae which is blanket algae or string algae.
This algae is living on nutrients in the water and uses sunlight to
grow. Shade and removing nutrients with filter plants will help prevent
it. You can also use barley straw:

http://www.sfr.cas.psu.edu/water/str...ct%20sheet.htm

I get my barley straw from our local Ace Hardware store (Weavers).

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 17-05-2004, 09:15 PM
dkat

the only sure fire means that I have ever seen to clear pond water is a
veggie filter. if your neighbor could put in a 'wetlands' area (bog plants,
grasses, etc.) that drained into the pond, then pump the water from the pond
into this area.... my guess is this is way too big a project for them to be
interested in but I sure would love to see it.....

news