Old 13-05-2004, 11:18 PM
Gary Woods

Default Lotus quality

A puzzlement: After a couple of really bad years, I began last fall to get
my pond (1) into shape, including identifying and re-potting some hardy
lilies that had escaped. The 3 lotus plants I'd had in tubs had died out
from neglect, as in overcrowding, so I ordered a couple from my favorite
aquatic nursery (2) in late winter. Both roots were rather cavalierly
packed in plastic bags with a bit of peat moss, though not enough to pad or
cover them, and no other packing in the shipping carton. One had only one
growing point that looked none too healthy, and the other had none. To
their credit, I got a phone call response to my "letter of grave
misgivings," and prompt replacements, though one named variety was no
longer available so "we'll send you a nice one that we don't know what's in
that pond until they bloom." Packed the same way, but with some growth
already started, and they took off promptly when stick alongside the
previous roots in bushel plastic tubs.
As noted, I've been away from this from a bit.... is this now the norm, or
is nursery (2) having a busy short-handed spring?

(1) 2/3 acre earth bottomed "farm" pond, infested with various potted hardy
lilies, and indeterminate and growing number of large-mouth bass and one
fat arrogant Koi. FWIW, there are pictures on my personal page, in the .sig
below.

(2) The one in Maryland, named after an opera singer. They're pricey but
good IIRC.

Keep 'em wet!