Old 14-05-2004, 10:05 PM
tg

Default Fish recommendations for stream - Part 2

Recap of last post:

100 foot long backyard stream, 5800 gph Sequence pump, Savio Skimmer, need
to know what type of fish to get that would do well in a shallow stream. It
is about 3-4 feet wide and 12 " deep at center only, shallow edges. Fairly
good current near the skimmer.

Results:

I went and picked up about 10 feeder goldfish and 10 "rosy minnows" that are
also used as feeders and set them loose. I also took some window screen and
lined the inside of the skimmer box so the fish would not make it to the
pump inlet. The rosy minnows have done fantastic - they are all over the
stream and love the moving water. The feeder goldfish are another story. By
the next morning all 10 wer not be found - opened the skimmer and Tada! all
10 were down in the skimmer box! Luckily the window screening prevented them
from getting to the pump inlet. Thought they might have learned their lesson
and released them back into the stream. Two hours later - all 10 back in the
skimmer.

Looks like the rosy minnows will be the winners. I plan on getting a whole
mess more of them soon. Goldfish will be relocated to the back ponds.

Thanks for everyones help.

Tim

Old 16-05-2004, 01:03 AM
AZKalEl

Hi Tim
Not sure where you are, but one other choice is a fish normally sold
as a tropical aquarium fish, White Clouds, or aka Mountain Minnows
(Tanicthys albonubes). They actually prefer a cooler water, and as
long as you don't dip out of the 60's in the winter, they do great.
They also reproduce like crazy. They would probably overwinter better
if they did have a deeper area I guess. But they do appreciate a
moving water stream, I've keep them in bucket ponds on my patio in
Arizona, and most did survive winter. The temp of the water did get
into the high 50's in the winter.
I just think they're prettier then plain minnows (OK everyone don't
kill me!)
Old 16-05-2004, 03:06 AM
ttalbls

Actually, the rosy minnows are nice light orange/red color. Easily seen from
above. And at 15 cents apiece, it was hard to pass up. I will add a group of
the white clouds to see how they do.

om...

Old 18-05-2004, 01:06 PM
Happy'Cam'per

hillstream loaches
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**