Old 19-05-2004, 11:12 PM
mark

Default help choosing pump size

I am building my first waterfall/pond. The pond is 4'x4'x2' deep. The
falls will be only about 3 or 4 feet from the pump and about 4' high.
Can anyone recommend the pump size that I need?
Old 20-05-2004, 04:03 AM
The~Doofie~Man©

I just went through the same stuff.
I finally got a bigger pump tonight. I bought a Wetlands pump at Canadian
Tire which can handle the ponds gph along with the vertical lift. It does
more than what I need it to do so I'll be filtering the amount of water I
want per hour.
You have to determine the total gallons in your pond then add the vertical
lift height. Then choose a pump that can handle all that plus circulate the
water. You also need an external filter that can handle the gph your pump is
throwing out so that you can properly filter the pond.

Here is a great site that helped me decide AFTER I bought a pond kit and dug
the deep section of the pond deeper than the total depth all the way around
as suggestested in the pond kit. I later learned that I drastically changed
the pumps ability to pump & "filter" the water properly so I had to buy a
new pump. I already have a use for the pump that came with the kit so no
worries.

Hope this is helpful to you.

http://www.valleyk.com/water/size.html

--
The~Doofie~Man ©
"LET ME SEE YOUR CIGARETTE LIGHTERS!!!!!"

om...

Old 20-05-2004, 07:07 PM
Hal

On 19 May 2004 14:34:10 -0700, (mark) wrote:

I am building my first waterfall/pond. The pond is 4'x4'x2' deep. The
falls will be only about 3 or 4 feet from the pump and about 4' high.
Can anyone recommend the pump size that I need?

http://www.pondsonlinecanada.com/hints.htm#WEIRCHART

Head is measured from the top of the water to the highest point the
water must be pumped.

Wier is the width of the waterfall where the water drops.

Your pond should be about 240 gallons of water.
4x4x2=32cubic feet. 32 cu. ft = 239.3766 gal

Regards,

Hal

Choosing the Proper Pond Pump bardenmatt Edible Gardening 0 19-04-2011 06:14 PM
Reactor size VS Tank Size? chaz Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 18-05-2006 02:33 PM
What size pump??? GoldLexus Ponds 3 16-06-2004 06:05 PM
Pond Pump Size Question Steve Shapson Ponds 4 29-12-2003 08:12 PM
Help choosing a pump for my new pond.... Ben Raines Ponds 7 25-07-2003 07:02 PM