Old 16-06-2004, 06:03 AM
GoldLexus

Default What size pump???

Okay, I posted on 5/17 regarding an electric timer for our pump to shut it
down at night (below is the full post). I have more information on the pump
now that we have drained the pond. According to the label on the pump it is
a Gould Pump, Model WS0511BF, 1/2 hp, 115 volts, max amp. 14.6, RPM 1750.
Here is a link to a .pdf on the pump with all the GPH & Header info. (Greek
to me) http://www.pumpshop.com/pdf/B3887.pdf (side note the previous owner
of our home and the one how built the pond/waterfall is a General
Contractor specializing in under ground utilities water and sewer)
I am thinking we may replace the pump next season, finances don't allow us
to now maybe they will we will see what you all suggest. Anyway, what would
be a good replacement pump? We are NOT diy'ers so we will have to hire
someone to put it in for us, what should we expect to pay someone for
installation? Where would we go to find someone to install?
Also, again here is a link to pics. of our pond for reference
http://public.fotki.com/Nikkiekoala/our_garden/
Thanks for all your help. This is a great group for learning and ideas!!!!

*****Post from 5/17*******
ELECRIC TIMER

We have pond with a waterfall. The water fall is at a 14 ft. incline with a
submersible pump.
We run the waterfall only during the spring and summer and shut it off in
the fall/winter. We haven't
turned it on yet this season due to some leaking issues. Anyway when the
fall is running our electric bill
triples! We run it 24/7 but we would like to shut it off during the night.
Where can I get a timer for this purpose?
Would it hurt the pump turning it on and off everyday? It is a big pump and
runs on I believe 220 power. Sorry,
I don't know much about this we 'inherited' the pond/waterfall when we
bought the house and no very little about it. Last year was
our first year with it and it was very expensive to run. Just need to find
out how we can lower our electric bill thought a timer would
help a bit

Old 16-06-2004, 08:06 AM
George

Goulds certainly do make good pumps. In fact, they are industrial grade. The
one you are talking about below will produce 120 gpm at a head of ten feet (7200
gph), which is quite strong. The questions I would ask about this pump is the
electrical usage, and the amount of heat it would generate. Looking at the
pictures of your pond, below, it doesn't look like the pond is very deep (what
is the depth?). Another fact is price. Goulds pumps tend to be pricey because
they are, after all, designed for industrial use. Have you looked at a flotec
pump? Here is a link to their web site. They have a stainless steel pump
designed specifically for waterfalls:

http://www.flotecpump.com/asp/Product.asp?PId=283

It doesn't have quite the output (4100 gph) that the goulds model has, but it
should be less expensive to purchase and run.

Old 16-06-2004, 09:04 AM
Sean Dinh

Are you still considering putting in a timer?

Construction supply should have a timer capable of that task. Nearly all
businesses use mechanical timers to control their neon signs. I don't recall the
rating on one. You could call and ask for the rating.

In dental office, we shut off the vacuum pump every day. Not a problem so far.
The motors on the air compressor cycle frequently, since dental office use a lot
of air. They haven't break.

Old 16-06-2004, 06:05 PM
GoldLexus

Because of the electric use we are not interested in getting another Gould
pump. It is industrial grade and cost the previous owner a pretty penny even
with the contractors discount!
I have to give you a guesstimate on the depth, my guess would be about 3 ft.
in the center. The pond is approx. 1000 gallons. The previous owner designed
the pond to where we can turn a valve to close off the waterfall and
re-route the water to another pipe for draining. It takes about 10-15
minutes to drain the entire pond. Which seems kind of fast. The pond was
only about a third full last night when we drained it, it took 2 min.
We had 3 goldfish, after draining we found only 1, while cleaning (shop vac)
we found another in a puddle never found the third maybe a victum of the
pump can't tell if there is a screen on it or not. Got too dark to see if
there is a screen or not. Could check the filter and see if the fish is
there but our filter is a big pain in th *ss to take apart and put together
and not have any leaking.
Sorry for the rambling.... the pond is on my mind now as we are in process
of getting it going again. Will fill it today and start it up.

.. .

"GoldLexus" wrote in message
[...]

Reactor size VS Tank Size? chaz Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 18-05-2006 02:33 PM
help choosing pump size mark Ponds 2 20-05-2004 07:07 PM
Pond Pump Size Question Steve Shapson Ponds 4 29-12-2003 08:12 PM
pulser pump video (Simplest pump in the world) Brian White sci.agriculture 24 26-04-2003 12:30 PM
pulser pump video (Simplest pump in the world) Oz sci.agriculture 13 18-02-2003 05:42 AM