Old 24-05-2004, 12:06 AM
Bonnie

Default Cicadas are emerging

Francis wrote:
Someone should take a picture or record them or video them to show us
underprivileged! I'm in Toronto and there are none here

- Francis

If you get any tv programs out of NY they'll most likely
have some sort of coverage. I know the last time it was
on our national news.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 24-05-2004, 01:09 AM
David Modine

"Mosfunland" wrote in message
I'm over in Phila, have the annual cicadas every year.....not too bad, I

look
forward to them.....waiting for the 17 years now......I

Remember them as a child down Maryland one year....ewwww they were
everywhere...and noisy like Bonnie describes.

Had tent catapillars one year on everything....you couldn't even sit

outside
without one or two crawling up your leg....now that was gross.
Maureen

Hello ponders, Marylander here. Man o man, they are everywhere, and
singing up a storm. I liken the sound to The Outer Limits. My frogs are
all looking extra fat & happy. My dogs go crazy trying to figure out which
ones to chase. All in all,,pretty cool!
David

Old 24-05-2004, 02:06 AM
Nedra

I just can't imagine life with cicadas ... only I knew
them as locusts. I've often wondered where the name
"cicadas" came from. (I know - I know .. scientific names
and all)

Nedra

Old 24-05-2004, 03:05 AM
Nedra

LOL!! My sentence should have read ....
".... life withOUT cicadas ..."

Nedra

ink.net...

Old 24-05-2004, 04:06 AM
dkat

I agree. It is magical. I never stop being amazed at how incredibly
complex and varied living things are.

"Robyn Rhudy" wrote in message
. umbc.edu...

I live near Alan but a little more in the country. It's really starting
to get loud around here. I can't think when I'm outside! You can't hold
a conversation anymore either. There are dead cicadas all over. The pool
cover has a few hundred. I don't see any in the pond. Hum? I think the
fish might have eaten some. My 3' lizard and 4 chickens LOVE to eat them
and go bonkers when I bring some. I've noticed about 20% of them start to
come out of their shells and harden too quickly, dying half in and half
out. The ants are going to have a mega population explosion. It's really
a sight to behold so I feel sorry for those of you who will never
experience this!

On Sat, 22 May 2004 wrote:

In , on 05/22/04
at 03:50 PM, Bonnie said:

The cicadas are emerging in my backyard. I was filling the bird

feeders
and noticed four without even looking for them. Their red eyes are

really
weird! Should be getting noisy by late this afternoon.

It's noisy here, and the clumsy things keep falling in the pond.

Alan

** Please use address alanh77[at]comccast.net to reply via e-mail. **

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.1

Important Notice! Robyn's web site has moved from
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/ to http://www.fishpondinfo.com. This
e-mail as well as the old site (which refers to the new site) will be
deleted on 9/24/04 by UMBC (I have no say in it). After that date,
please use the e-mail of instead of this e-mail.
Please spread the word that my site has moved. Thanks.

Chemist, preservationist, animal lover, aquarist, and ponder. -
Extensive web pages on animals, fish, and ponds. -
http://www.fishpondinfo.com
Free pond newsletter - sign up at my web site -
Finally! Buy Robyn's Pond Book at www.1stbooks.com -

Old 24-05-2004, 10:04 AM
Snooze

wrote in message
ganews.com...
In , on 05/22/04
at 03:50 PM, Bonnie said:

It's noisy here, and the clumsy things keep falling in the pond.

Isn't Darwin funny? Your a bug that hangs out in the dirt for 17 years. You
wake up one morning to realize it's your time to reproduce so you climb up
and begin your quest to find a cute lady bug. Wrong! you made a wrong turn
and end up in the mouth of a frog, bird or just fall into a pond.

Snooze

Old 24-05-2004, 06:05 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Bonnie" wrote in message
Hi All,
The cicadas are emerging in my backyard. I was filling the
bird feeders and noticed four without even looking for them.
Their red eyes are really weird! Should be getting noisy by
late this afternoon.

The swarm started in our neighborhood this past weekend. We've heard the
noise coming for days.

BV.

Old 24-05-2004, 06:05 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
Please don't feel sorry for us! I can picture those of you living it

almost
like a horror movie! Say the birds or something similar. Bugs

everywhere,
not my idea of COOL!

snip

It's actually kind of interesting. Every day the noise gets closer, much
like the Langoliers. The swarms are starting in my area now, and I95 is
littered with corpses. BTW, the worst part seems to be the smell from the
dead rotting acada's (as my 3 year old calls them).

BV.

Old 24-05-2004, 09:16 PM
dkat

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message
"Bonnie" wrote in message
Hi All,
The cicadas are emerging in my backyard. I was filling the
bird feeders and noticed four without even looking for them.
Their red eyes are really weird! Should be getting noisy by
late this afternoon.

The swarm started in our neighborhood this past weekend. We've heard the
noise coming for days.

BV

I liked this letter to the editor in the NYTimes -

Cicadas, Marking Time

Published: May 24, 2004

To the Editor:
Re "The Orgy in Your Backyard," by Jeffrey A. Lockwood (Op-Ed, May 20): I am
enjoying the cicadas' low hum and knowing that by midsummer, the hum will
become a roar. The cicadas' noise, their lumbering flights, their
luminescent wings all remind me of the summer of 1987. I was a young mother,
my daughter Sasha was 15 months old and life seemed infinite in its
possibilities.
I remember trips to the park that summer, and watching the cicadas crash
into tiny Sasha. I also remember thinking that the creatures would not
return until Sasha was 18, an eternity away. Now the cicadas are back, Sasha
is 18, and when she enrolls in college this fall the cicadas will already be
back in hibernation.
When the cicadas return in 2021, if I am lucky enough to be here to hear
them, and see them, and maybe physically encounter a few, I may be a
grandmother. My time on the earth that harbors the cicadas will be winding
down. But the cicadas will certainly be back again and again, to remind us
of the cycles and transience of our lives.
MARIAN BASS
Princeton, N.J., May 20, 2004

Old 24-05-2004, 11:06 PM
Cichlidiot

"Just Me \"Koi\"" wrote:
Please don't feel sorry for us! I can picture those of you living it almost
like a horror movie! Say the birds or something similar. Bugs everywhere,
not my idea of COOL!

When I was a kid, my grandmother lived in a small town that was pretty
much surrounded with agricultural land. Almost every summer, there'd be a
swarm of some insect or another. Most often it was cockeroaches
everywhere, even coming up the drain of the showers at the community pool.
The funnest year was when it was ladybugs. They were practically coating
trees and such outside. Crickets were another common pest, which drove my
grandmother's dog nuts, earning it the nickname of Cricket.

You could always tell when it was going to be a bad swarm summer when the
cleaners at the community pool didn't bother to throw any scooped up
insects away and instead piled them at one side of the pool. Or when they
just couldn't keep up with the numbers falling in the water.
Old 24-05-2004, 11:08 PM

In le.rogers.com, on
05/24/04
at 04:08 AM, "Francis" said:

Here are some links ....

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=5150401
http://keyetv.com/topstories/topstor...137095732.html

Yummy ...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...051804-22v.htm

http://www.wcpo.com/news/2004/local/03/10/cicadas.html

www.baltimoresun.com has a cicada section, too.

Old 24-05-2004, 11:08 PM

In , on 05/24/04
at 12:44 PM, "Benign Vanilla" said:

It's actually kind of interesting. Every day the noise gets closer, much
like the Langoliers. The swarms are starting in my area now, and I95 is
littered with corpses. BTW, the worst part seems to be the smell from the
dead rotting acada's (as my 3 year old calls them).

It's not a pretty smell.

Old 25-05-2004, 04:07 AM
Just Me \Koi\

OK BV, here is an advance notice! I will be in Baltimore July 19! Get rid
of them by the time I arrive in town! Or else you are fired as our pond
keeper!

--
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: