Old 22-05-2004, 05:06 PM
Bonnie

Default Cicadas are emerging

Hi All,
The cicadas are emerging in my backyard. I was filling the
bird feeders and noticed four without even looking for them.
Their red eyes are really weird! Should be getting noisy by
late this afternoon.
--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 22-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Ka30P

Bonnie, this is really exciting from a
distance's point of view. I wonder if
the fish will enjoy them for a treat?

kathy :-)
Old 23-05-2004, 07:22 AM
joe

Bonnie,

Are you in one of the places where they are coming out in the seventeen year
cycle? That just sounds creepy!

Joe

Old 23-05-2004, 07:22 AM
Bonnie

joe wrote:
Bonnie,

Are you in one of the places where they are coming out in the seventeen year
cycle? That just sounds creepy!

Joe

Yes I am, the last cycle I remember people actually pulling
off Interstate 78 thinking they had car trouble - that's how
loud these little critters can get.
It's not really creepy, it's just that they're everywhere.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 23-05-2004, 07:23 AM
Bonnie

Ka30P wrote:
Bonnie, this is really exciting from a
distance's point of view. I wonder if
the fish will enjoy them for a treat?

kathy :-)

I'll let you know if the cicadas make good
fish food ;-)

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 23-05-2004, 07:37 AM

In , on 05/22/04
at 03:50 PM, Bonnie said:

The cicadas are emerging in my backyard. I was filling the bird feeders
and noticed four without even looking for them. Their red eyes are really
weird! Should be getting noisy by late this afternoon.

It's noisy here, and the clumsy things keep falling in the pond.

Alan

** Please use address alanh77[at]comccast.net to reply via e-mail. **

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.1

Old 23-05-2004, 07:38 AM
Robyn Rhudy

I live near Alan but a little more in the country. It's really starting
to get loud around here. I can't think when I'm outside! You can't hold
a conversation anymore either. There are dead cicadas all over. The pool
cover has a few hundred. I don't see any in the pond. Hum? I think the
fish might have eaten some. My 3' lizard and 4 chickens LOVE to eat them
and go bonkers when I bring some. I've noticed about 20% of them start to
come out of their shells and harden too quickly, dying half in and half
out. The ants are going to have a mega population explosion. It's really
a sight to behold so I feel sorry for those of you who will never
experience this!

On Sat, 22 May 2004 wrote:

In , on 05/22/04
at 03:50 PM, Bonnie said:

The cicadas are emerging in my backyard. I was filling the bird feeders
and noticed four without even looking for them. Their red eyes are really
weird! Should be getting noisy by late this afternoon.

It's noisy here, and the clumsy things keep falling in the pond.

Alan

** Please use address alanh77[at]comccast.net to reply via e-mail. **

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.1

Important Notice! Robyn's web site has moved from
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/ to http://www.fishpondinfo.com. This
e-mail as well as the old site (which refers to the new site) will be
deleted on 9/24/04 by UMBC (I have no say in it). After that date,
please use the e-mail of instead of this e-mail.
Please spread the word that my site has moved. Thanks.

Chemist, preservationist, animal lover, aquarist, and ponder. -
Extensive web pages on animals, fish, and ponds. -
http://www.fishpondinfo.com
Free pond newsletter - sign up at my web site -
Finally! Buy Robyn's Pond Book at www.1stbooks.com -
Old 23-05-2004, 07:48 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Please don't feel sorry for us! I can picture those of you living it almost
like a horror movie! Say the birds or something similar. Bugs everywhere,
not my idea of COOL!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"Robyn Rhudy" wrote in message
. umbc.edu...

I live near Alan but a little more in the country. It's really starting
to get loud around here. I can't think when I'm outside! You can't hold
a conversation anymore either. There are dead cicadas all over. The pool
cover has a few hundred. I don't see any in the pond. Hum? I think the
fish might have eaten some. My 3' lizard and 4 chickens LOVE to eat them
and go bonkers when I bring some. I've noticed about 20% of them start to
come out of their shells and harden too quickly, dying half in and half
out. The ants are going to have a mega population explosion. It's really
a sight to behold so I feel sorry for those of you who will never
experience this!

Old 23-05-2004, 08:07 AM
jammer

On Sat, 22 May 2004 17:58:57 GMT, Bonnie
wrote:

joe wrote:
Bonnie,

Are you in one of the places where they are coming out in the

seventeen year
cycle? That just sounds creepy!

Joe

Yes I am, the last cycle I remember people actually pulling
off Interstate 78 thinking they had car trouble - that's how
loud these little critters can get.

It's not really creepy, it's just that they're everywhere.

THAT IS THE CREEPY PART!! I'm with joe...

Old 23-05-2004, 01:05 PM
jammer

Uh, you don't have to feel sorry for me! They would petrify me!

On Sat, 22 May 2004 19:10:30 -0400, Robyn Rhudy
wrote:

[...]

On Sat, 22 May 2004 wrote:

In , on 05/22/04
at 03:50 PM, Bonnie said:

The cicadas are emerging in my backyard. I was filling the bird

feeders
and noticed four without even looking for them. Their red eyes are

really
weird! Should be getting noisy by late this afternoon.

It's noisy here, and the clumsy things keep falling in the pond.

Alan

** Please use address alanh77[at]comccast.net to reply via e-mail.

**

Old 23-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Mosfunland

I'm over in Phila, have the annual cicadas every year.....not too bad, I look
forward to them.....waiting for the 17 years now......I

Remember them as a child down Maryland one year....ewwww they were
everywhere...and noisy like Bonnie describes.

Had tent catapillars one year on everything....you couldn't even sit outside
without one or two crawling up your leg....now that was gross.
Maureen

Old 23-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Bonnie

This morning when I went out to feed the koi I couldn't help
but find the casings of the cicada all over the tree trunks
and every upright including the posts for the swing! Yes
Kathy the koi do love the newly emerged bugs, but only the
larger koi - the smaller fish are frighten off by the
fluttering wings ;-)
There is a definite hum in the air. Between a car alarm
going off in the distance and severe static on the radio.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 23-05-2004, 07:03 PM
Francis

Someone should take a picture or record them or video them to show us
underprivileged! I'm in Toronto and there are none here

- Francis

Old 23-05-2004, 09:05 PM
Ka30P

I remember one year we had a ton of grasshoppers hatch out. And preying mantis
seem to be abundant also.
I had a couple of habitats set up on the kitchen table for preying mantis and
frogs that the neighborhood kids brought me. (There was a method to this I'm
sure thought out by their parents ;-)
I would send forth a posse of boys to catch grasshoppers and we'd feed them to
the preying mantis and frogs.
I'll always remember Ricky (out of college now) turning to me, all thrilled, as
he fed a grasshopper to a preying mantis, and telling me,
"Mrs. P, Mrs. P, you've got to see this, it's sucking its guts out!!!"
Kind of a catch phrase around here now.

kathy :-)
Old 24-05-2004, 12:06 AM

In .edu, on 05/22/04
at 07:10 PM, Robyn Rhudy said:

I live near Alan but a little more in the country. It's really starting
to get loud around here. I can't think when I'm outside! You can't hold
a conversation anymore either. There are dead cicadas all over. The
pool cover has a few hundred. I don't see any in the pond. Hum? I

It's loud here, too, because we have woods along the neighborhood. Owings
Mills apparently is quiet due to all the development in the past 17 years.