Old 23-05-2004, 07:30 AM
HTH

Default Still looking for a better planting medium.

I have been looking for something to pot plants in (esp water lilies)
that will not (with koi help) dump dirt into the water.

A year or two ago we talked about it on this group and it seemed that
using gravel without dirt was the way to go. The problem
with that it get ugly when it comes time to divide plants. The rocks are
hell on any knife, and even heavier then dirt. With many plants the
rocks and the boot ball become one mass and one has to hack through the
rock/root ball to divide the plant. That takes a lot longer then doing
the same with a soil potted plant.

In an earlier post Benign Vanilla talked about using Iris in laundry
baskets filled with river rock mixed with pea gravel. Do you have
problems with plant division? Also why add the pea gravel ?

We have tried using various types of rock on top of the dirt but sooner
or latter a pot gets dumped over or something else wrong and the pond is
a mess.

HTH

Old 23-05-2004, 07:50 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

With some marginals I use BIG rocks so they don't get intertwined with
roots, but mainly hold the plant in place till the roots fill the basket.
Otherwise with lilies and bulb plants I find using my sandy soil with weed
cloth on top in strips and a good layer of large river rock on top, keeps
the koi out of the dirt, and the rocks on top. Without fabric the rocks
just settle into the sand. ~ jan

Old 23-05-2004, 06:04 PM
HTH

Jan,
How wide do you make the strips and how much overlap.

Old 24-05-2004, 05:06 AM
Stephen M. Henning

HTH wrote:

I have been looking for something to pot plants in (esp water lilies)
that will not (with koi help) dump dirt into the water.

Clay is the best and the best source of clay is Walmart's cheapest kitty
litter at a couple dollars for a huge bag. It is pure clay with no scent
or anything else. First I put a layer of 3/4 inch river rock on the
bottom, then the lily tuber covered with the kitty litter, and then I
cover the kitty litter and lily tuber with 3/4 inch river rock. You can
add pressed sphaghnum moss "paper" as a filter to help keep the clay in
pond baskets. I personally don't bother and haven't had any problems.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 24-05-2004, 07:03 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Length 3-5". Width about 1 to 1.5 inches, over lap less than .25 inches,
sometimes just touching. I use strips so the plants can grow up thru it and
I can get a fertilizer tab into the dirt when needed. Works really well.
~ jan

Old 24-05-2004, 04:08 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Personally, I don't think it matters wheither it is clay or sandy, the
major component is "free". Plants like "free" soil. ;o) ~ jan

Old 24-05-2004, 05:09 PM
HTH

Thanks Jan,

You suggestion of using weed cloth is what I am going to try. For
economic reasons I will be sticking with my local dirt which should work
well with the cloth and rocks. It is works well till the rocks sink and
the fish start tossing the dirt around.

howard

Old 24-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Benign Vanilla

"HTH" wrote in message
I have been looking for something to pot plants in (esp water lilies)
that will not (with koi help) dump dirt into the water.

A year or two ago we talked about it on this group and it seemed that
using gravel without dirt was the way to go. The problem
with that it get ugly when it comes time to divide plants. The rocks are
hell on any knife, and even heavier then dirt. With many plants the
rocks and the boot ball become one mass and one has to hack through the
rock/root ball to divide the plant. That takes a lot longer then doing
the same with a soil potted plant.

In an earlier post Benign Vanilla talked about using Iris in laundry
baskets filled with river rock mixed with pea gravel. Do you have
problems with plant division? Also why add the pea gravel ?

snip

I usually pour some pea gravel on he bottom of the basket, and sit the root
ball tubor there. I then pour a bit more pea gravel and then the river rock.
The gravel helps to keep the root ball steady, and I figure the smaller rock
around the roots will help the roots to be treated more delicately and give
them time to establish themselves, but providing lots of nooks and crannies.

As for division. I have had no problems at all.

BV.

Old 24-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Benign Vanilla

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
s.com...
With some marginals I use BIG rocks so they don't get intertwined with
roots, but mainly hold the plant in place till the roots fill the basket.
Otherwise with lilies and bulb plants I find using my sandy soil with weed
cloth on top in strips and a good layer of large river rock on top, keeps
the koi out of the dirt, and the rocks on top. Without fabric the rocks
just settle into the sand. ~ jan

snip

Your post reminded me, I have not had 100% success with rocks a planting
medium...

Iris - 100% success
Cattails - 100% success
Star Palm (not sure real name) - marginal success, plant is alive but not
thriving
Lotus - 0%, haven't tried stone for lotus, always use mud
Lily - 50%, marginal success lily is growing but not thriving
Pickeral rush - 100%, but this stuff will grow anywhere

BV.