Old 03-06-2004, 06:10 AM
steve

Default Question about TETRA PRF 1500-2500 pressure filter.

I am thinking about adding another filter to my pond. I have a Tetra
PF-3. The PRF 1500-2500 models are pressurized and they say you can
back flush em. Does the backflush work well? It looks like a pretty
big canister filter and those are a pain to break open and clean out
all the time. I remember having to clean out my Fluval cannister
filters for my indoor aquariums and I can imagine the horrendous gunk
that could accumulate in an outdoor cannister pressurized filter.
Help, I don't want to spend a $150 bucks for a filter that does not
back flush well. This filter does not have a built in pump right? If
not I can hook it up to a pondmaster pump with a nominal strainer in a
mesh bag, would that work? Thanks a lot and if you have one of these
Tetra pressurized things do you like it? and is the backflush feature
any good. thanks again--------
steve
Old 06-06-2004, 07:03 AM
Rodney Pont

On 2 Jun 2004 22:00:14 -0700, steve wrote:

I am thinking about adding another filter to my pond. I have a Tetra
PF-3. The PRF 1500-2500 models are pressurized and they say you can
back flush em. Does the backflush work well? It looks like a pretty
big canister filter and those are a pain to break open and clean out
all the time. I remember having to clean out my Fluval cannister
filters for my indoor aquariums and I can imagine the horrendous gunk
that could accumulate in an outdoor cannister pressurized filter.
Help, I don't want to spend a $150 bucks for a filter that does not
back flush well. This filter does not have a built in pump right? If
not I can hook it up to a pondmaster pump with a nominal strainer in a
mesh bag, would that work? Thanks a lot and if you have one of these
Tetra pressurized things do you like it? and is the backflush feature
any good. thanks again--------

Hi Steve,
We have had a PRF 3000 for a year now and it's something I
regret buying. It has very coarse sponges in and there are paths that
the water can take to bypass the main one.

The backflush does crush the sponges effectively, provided you have
sufficient flow, but the backwash water doesn't pass through the
sponge, it goes down the center of it. It does pick up the dirt that is
squeezed out of the center of the sponge but they still need
dismantling occasionally to clean it properly. Putting it back together
is tricky since the sealing ring stretches while under pressure and you
have to hold one side down while trying to push the ring into it's
channel on the other side.

This filter even lets tadpoles through.

The sponge layout in the Oase filter looks to be much better. I haven't
had a close look but if it does send the backflush water through the
sponges I could put up with pulling the lever up :-)

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old 08-06-2004, 04:35 PM
Theoldballpark

I have the Oase pressurized filter and am very happy with it. Backwashes very
good. For heavy gunk, just pull a lever a few times and it cleans more
thoroughly. Laura
Old 08-06-2004, 04:49 PM
steve

"Rodney Pont" wrote in message news:atcfzvasbuvgflfgrzfygqhx.hyvtfq0.pminews@ihs 1...
[...]

thanks for your responses everybody. I think I will go for another
gravity feed one, where I can add my own custom mats...and charcoal
bins from the top and just wash em out manually. I am going to check
out the OASE filter for sure so that is an option. I thought the Tetra
might be to good to be true. With as much gunk as a pond generates you
have to design the thing loose so once it is clogged it can bypass the
gunk.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:39 AM
Theoldballpark