Old 09-06-2004, 03:12 PM
Benign Vanilla

Default A Heron?

They build an office building nearby a few months back, and there is a large
catch basin for the parking lot water. It's full now, and the ducks, geese,
etc. haved moved in. Somehow some fish ended up in there as well, as we saw
something, a heron maybe, hunting there this weekend. We warned the kids
that if they see that bird in the yard that they should send the dog out.
LOL.

Anyway...do heron come in all white?

BV.

Old 09-06-2004, 03:12 PM
Ka30P

BV wrote Anyway...do heron come in all white?

Yes, there is a white heron. And white egrets, also fish hunters.

kathy :-)
Old 09-06-2004, 03:14 PM
Just Me \Koi\

Let me guess BV,
You had nothing to with the fish ending up in the puddle, right? wink wink!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message
snip Somehow some fish ended up in there as wellsnip
BV.

Old 09-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
Let me guess BV,
You had nothing to with the fish ending up in the puddle, right? wink

wink!
snip

Hey now! JMK, you know me, I am against introducing non-native species into
native bodies of water. It's not good for the natives. It is amazing though,
isn't it? A rain runoff pond that is barely 2 years old, and it has fish
already. Do we have any civil engineers here? Do they normally stock these
pools?

BV.

Old 09-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Ka30P

BV wrote A rain runoff pond that is barely 2 years old, and it has fish
already. Do we have any civil engineers here? Do they normally stock these
pools?

Would they be mosquito fish stocked by the mosquito control district?
If they are larger fish they could have come in as sticky eggs on big birdy
feet.

kathy :-)

Old 09-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Ka30P" wrote in message
BV wrote A rain runoff pond that is barely 2 years old, and it has fish
already. Do we have any civil engineers here? Do they normally stock these
pools?

Would they be mosquito fish stocked by the mosquito control district?
If they are larger fish they could have come in as sticky eggs on big

birdy
feet.

The fish this large white bird pulled out in front of us, was very large.
Certainly not a skeeter fish.

BV.

Old 09-06-2004, 03:16 PM
dkat

http://natureimages.net/diaporama/herons.html
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/watchable/herons.html

gives some nice pictures... I have never been able to tell the difference
between a heron and an egret... I think though that the only heron with a
long neck is the great heron and it is gray/blue.

Old 09-06-2004, 03:16 PM
dkat

I really don't have a clue. Yes they come in all white according to this

http://www.audubon.org/bird/BoA/F38_G1f.html

Help for Heron Szpond Ponds 12 19-10-2003 02:02 AM
Heron alert! Don Ponds 8 30-05-2003 08:33 PM
Heron! ~ jan Ponds 6 06-05-2003 02:22 AM
Heron Priscilla McCullough Ponds (alternative) 1 30-04-2003 05:08 PM
Grey Heron Question NTL News Ponds 8 22-04-2003 07:32 AM