Old 10-06-2004, 10:09 PM
Newbie Bill

Default More fish questions

I still wasnt very brief but after BV politely asking "What was your
question now", I will at least try to limit my questions if not information
per post. These three are not as 'serious'.
1) Soaking food? The Medi Koi are a little larger than most of my food and
very hard like little rabbit pellets. The fishies seemed to be avoiding it
at first so I got the bright idea to soak it to make it easier to eat.
Either that is working or they are just more desperate since they are only
getting that right now. Am I soaking away the medication? and your thoughts
about soaking food in general. It is sinking but I also have some regular
'hard' pellets which are floating for past and future use.
Sorry I just cant help myself
1a) I have seen numerous references to Romet B but found nothing
specifically called that, hence the Medi Koi which is Romet 30 or Romet B30
or something like that and something else. Same or similar stuff? Where?
2) The pearl scale? Are any of you familiar with my 'hybrid'. It is all
light orange tending towards flesh colored rather than GF colored. I bought
it as a pearl scale - the rotund body and large fan tail but the head is
quite different than other pics I have since seen of pearl scales, which
seem very triangular ryunkin-like. Mine is very round, almost looks like
cartoons of baby dinosaurs without the extended nose. It also has a
significant oranda like head mass (wen?) which is a little darker orange.
VERY slow swimming compared to the comets.
3) White comets? I have a feeder who is now 3-4 inches which has been about
50/50 white and orange. I have been expecting several small white feeders
and it to eventually turn orange but this one seems to be fading out the
orange and becoming all white. Does this happen also or do I have yet
another worry wart to harbor.

I cant help it, the devil made me do it still had to squeeze 4+ questions in
here. At least I got to the questions a little quicker right?
Thanxx yet again and again and................
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Old 11-06-2004, 03:04 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Newbie Bill" wrote in message
m...
I still wasnt very brief but after BV politely asking "What was your
question now", I will at least try to limit my questions if not

information
per post. These three are not as 'serious'.
1) Soaking food? The Medi Koi are a little larger than most of my food

and
very hard like little rabbit pellets. The fishies seemed to be avoiding

it
at first so I got the bright idea to soak it to make it easier to eat.
Either that is working or they are just more desperate since they are only
getting that right now. Am I soaking away the medication? and your

thoughts
about soaking food in general. It is sinking but I also have some regular
'hard' pellets which are floating for past and future use.

I rarely feed my fish, so I have not used that particular food. I can say
however that when I use Koi sticks they tend to let them soak a bit before
they gobble them up. You'll see them come up, grab one, spit it out, etc.

Sorry I just cant help myself
1a) I have seen numerous references to Romet B but found nothing
specifically called that, hence the Medi Koi which is Romet 30 or Romet

B30
or something like that and something else. Same or similar stuff? Where?

Oh, this will get me in trouble but...I wouldn't sweat it. The food is
probably not worth the money unless you just had some sick fish or a water
parameter problem. A few of the ponders here buy catfish food in 10's of lbs
for a few dollars and their Koi are happy and healthy.

2) The pearl scale? Are any of you familiar with my 'hybrid'. It is all
light orange tending towards flesh colored rather than GF colored. I

bought
it as a pearl scale - the rotund body and large fan tail but the head is
quite different than other pics I have since seen of pearl scales, which
seem very triangular ryunkin-like. Mine is very round, almost looks like
cartoons of baby dinosaurs without the extended nose. It also has a
significant oranda like head mass (wen?) which is a little darker orange.
VERY slow swimming compared to the comets.

LOL. I have no idea. I have 4 Petsmart $2.99 Koi, 4 random goldish and a
comet. Oh and 16.3 million minnows. I know nothing of proper facial fish
features. Mine have heads, bodies and fins.

3) White comets? I have a feeder who is now 3-4 inches which has been

about
50/50 white and orange. I have been expecting several small white feeders
and it to eventually turn orange but this one seems to be fading out the
orange and becoming all white. Does this happen also or do I have yet
another worry wart to harbor.

Maybe a high chlorine level in your water? Bleaching the fish? Sorry
couldn't resist.

I cant help it, the devil made me do it still had to squeeze 4+ questions

in
here. At least I got to the questions a little quicker right?

This place is all about Q&A. Anyone gives you fish poop about that and tell
them to go stick there head in K30a's bog.

BV.

Old 11-06-2004, 05:04 PM
Newbie Bill

Hi BV - thanks for your usual 'real' answer. You definitely do your part to
keep the levity factor up in this group. And no it isnt the chlorine. I
have cut my daily additions down to almost nothing since I have been doing
the PP treatments.
I did finally stumble upon a pic of my fish. It's an Orange Crown
Pearlscale.
Thanxx
Bill Brister - Austin, TX

Old 11-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Newbie Bill" wrote in message
Hi BV - thanks for your usual 'real' answer. You definitely do your part

keep the levity factor up in this group. And no it isnt the chlorine. I
have cut my daily additions down to almost nothing since I have been doing
the PP treatments.
I did finally stumble upon a pic of my fish. It's an Orange Crown
Pearlscale.
Thanxx

snip

Rec.ponds has as long as I can remember been one of the few places where we
all get along. Sometimes that is not true. Either way you can count a few
things, and one of those is me being smartass. I mean no harm.

BV.

Old 12-06-2004, 12:05 AM
Just Me \Koi\

So....this makes you a Harmless Smart Ass? I always knew you were no
ordinary smart ass!

--
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: