Old 11-06-2004, 04:07 PM
DavesVideo

Default Waterfalls and filtration

I'm in the process of building a pond with a waterfalls. When you have a falls,
does the water need less filtration? I know that natural streams tend to clean
themselves. My falls will be about 5' high and fall in 6 steps at about 1000
gal/hr.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave
Old 11-06-2004, 04:07 PM
Ka30P

Hi Dave,

When you have a falls,

does the water need less filtration?

It is more a function of how many fish, and what kind, you have in the pond.
I have very few goldfish in 3,000 gallons and use water hyacinths in the top
reservoir of my waterfall and watercress planted at the bottom of my waterfall
to filter my pond.

kathy :-)
Old 11-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Benign Vanilla

"DavesVideo" wrote in message
I'm in the process of building a pond with a waterfalls. When you have a

falls,
does the water need less filtration? I know that natural streams tend to

clean
themselves. My falls will be about 5' high and fall in 6 steps at about

1000
gal/hr.

Your falls will work to keep the water circulated which is good because
still water can stagnate. It'll also help to aerate the water as it moves
among the rocks of the falls. Finally, the rocks will provide surface area
for bio bugs to help clean the water. It won't, however, be a replacement
for proper filtering, and as kathy already posted, it's all about your fish
load.

BV.

Old 11-06-2004, 10:08 PM
matrix j

If you do plan on adding a filter one way to go is with Atlantic
Filterfalls with Spring Flo as your bio media. They have about 6-7 sizes
available.

Waterfalls Question- new one continuing thred... Gareee© Ponds 0 16-09-2003 05:22 PM
bonsai waterfalls Asla Group Bonsai 0 11-06-2003 12:08 AM
Rock edgings, creeks and waterfalls zookeeper Ponds 1 21-05-2003 02:32 PM
Anyone seen pre-made fiberglass or foam waterfalls on sale anywhere? Gareee Ponds 3 18-04-2003 03:32 AM
Rocks & Waterfalls new site!! Ask me Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:35 AM