Old 20-07-2004, 10:03 AM
Pinkpggy

Default Trickle down veggie filter ?

I want to put permanent PVC "pipes" in the VF so I can just hook up my
wet dry to them and suction out crud.

That makes me think of my aquarium undergravel filters. Your plan is
to feed from the bottom, which makes sense. This would require a
bottom grid held clear of the bottom, covered with small rocks, and
then the other media on top, with plants. Under the bottom grid would
be the feed pipe teed with a gate valve to a drain pipe. All the heavy
crud would fall to the bottom and could be removed by suction or the
drain. There would be an overflow at the top to return cleaned water
to the pond.
Does this sound workable?
--

Our filter is made of PVC pipe. Its covered with a cloth of some kind, and the
rocks are about a 1/2 a foot deep. There is a valve that we can use to drain

Jan
"Our Pond" Page
http://hometown.aol.com/pinkpggy/index.html
Old 20-07-2004, 12:04 PM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

We do feed the veggie filters from the bottom of the pond. The barrels in
the berm are upflow and the vf ponds on the berm are top feed, top exit.
That is to say the water comes
from the bottom of the pond,
up through the barrels with strapping tape
in one side of the vf pond
through the pond
out the other side of the vf pond
down the waterfall
through the stream to the pond.

pics on our website

Ingrid is right about the bottom.

Our intake is the pump itself in a 5 gal bucket with 1/2' holes drilled all
over the sides. The limits what junk can get in. The bucket itself stands
on two bricks, holding it about 3.5" off the bottom of our 'deep well' (old
septic tank, bottom 7' under the surface). Once a year (in the warm-water
summer), Jim uses a pond net to pull junk that has accumulated in the well.
Once a year, (in spring before the plants are going) Jim opens the 2" bottom
drains of our berm vf ponds to drain the muck. He flushes with pond water.
None of the ponds have stuff on the bottom so we can drain easily and so
that we have a minimul of anaerobic space in the pond.

Phyllis

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

wrote in message
no ...ugfs always run anaerobic after a little while. I have no media on

the bottom
of my veggie filters. the stuff falls to the bottom anyway so it isnt

needed Ingrid

(Crashj) wrote:

wrote in message

I want to put permanent PVC "pipes" in the VF so I can just hook up my
wet dry to them and suction out crud.

That makes me think of my aquarium undergravel filters. Your plan is
to feed from the bottom, which makes sense. This would require a
bottom grid held clear of the bottom, covered with small rocks, and
then the other media on top, with plants. Under the bottom grid would
be the feed pipe teed with a gate valve to a drain pipe. All the heavy
crud would fall to the bottom and could be removed by suction or the
drain. There would be an overflow at the top to return cleaned water
to the pond.
Does this sound workable?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/