Old 23-06-2004, 05:05 AM
HTH

Default Veggie Filter Depth

What is a good depth for a veggie filter ?

Old 23-06-2004, 05:05 AM
Ka30P

From Ingrid's post on veggie filters:
"It needs to be only 8-12" deep so it doesnt go anaerobic."

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 23-06-2004, 05:05 AM
GrannyGrump

From Ingrid's post on veggie filters:
"It needs to be only 8-12" deep so it doesnt go anaerobic."

Won't it go back to aerobic if bouncing over the waterfall rocks?
Old 23-06-2004, 06:04 AM
Snooze

"HTH" wrote in message
What is a good depth for a veggie filter ?

Depends on how many birds you intend to kill with one stone. I use two 55
gal drums, those are about 4ft tall, this setup lets me have a bio filter,
settling chamber and veggie filter all in one enclosure.

Also consider what kind of plants you intend to keep in the bio filter, and
what their preferred depth is. Remember you can always raise the pots by
placing them on bricks, upside down pots, etc, but you can't make a water
filter deeper.

Snooze

Old 23-06-2004, 04:13 PM
Benign Vanilla

"HTH" wrote in message
What is a good depth for a veggie filter ?

My VF is in two sections. One section is less then a foot deep, and the
other is a bowl shape that goes down to about 18 inches. This is part by
design, part by newbie mistake. Someday I plan on tearing it all out and
redoing it, but for now it works great.

This depth makes it easy to clean, and maximizes the root mass to water mass
ration. I get very good fallout using this setup.

BV.

Old 23-06-2004, 09:10 PM
HTH

I have an initial sketch of how the VF would
fit into my pond system.

http://www.howardthehumble.com/pondsketch.htm

Howard

Old 24-06-2004, 06:09 PM

the water bouncing over yes and that is fine for water moving over rocks. I guess I
dont think it needs to be any deeper. and my waterfall doesnt go over rocks. Ingrid

GrannyGrump wrote:

From Ingrid's post on veggie filters:
"It needs to be only 8-12" deep so it doesnt go anaerobic."

Won't it go back to aerobic if bouncing over the waterfall rocks?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 25-06-2004, 03:05 AM
RichToyBox

It is not whether the water will change going over the waterfall, but the
action of the type of bacteria, and the waste products produced. Aerobic
digestion does not produce hydrogen sulfide or methane which smell bad and
are toxic to the fish.
--
RichToyBox
"GrannyGrump" wrote in message
news

From Ingrid's post on veggie filters:

Old 25-06-2004, 06:07 AM
GrannyGrump

It is not whether the water will change going over the waterfall, but the
action of the type of bacteria, and the waste products produced. Aerobic
digestion does not produce hydrogen sulfide or methane which smell bad and
are toxic to the fish.

So how would a 4 or 5 foot deep veggie filter be created to not have
this happen?
Old 25-06-2004, 06:08 AM

those gases are light and quickly dissipate if the water is going over a waterfall
with lots of rocks. I doubt it would be toxic at that point. but it does smell bad
while in the veggie filter. I just dont know why anybody would make it deep when
shallow does great. Ingrid

"RichToyBox" wrote:

It is not whether the water will change going over the waterfall, but the
action of the type of bacteria, and the waste products produced. Aerobic
digestion does not produce hydrogen sulfide or methane which smell bad and
are toxic to the fish.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 25-06-2004, 12:02 PM
GrannyGrump

those gases are light and quickly dissipate if the water is going over a waterfall
with lots of rocks. I doubt it would be toxic at that point. but it does smell bad
while in the veggie filter. I just dont know why anybody would make it deep when
shallow does great.

Maybe because deep is available whereas shallow isn't?

Old 25-06-2004, 02:04 PM
Benign Vanilla

"GrannyGrump" wrote in message

It is not whether the water will change going over the waterfall, but the
action of the type of bacteria, and the waste products produced. Aerobic
digestion does not produce hydrogen sulfide or methane which smell bad

and
are toxic to the fish.

So how would a 4 or 5 foot deep veggie filter be created to not have
this happen?

The key design measurement for a VF is not depth but surface area. You need
to maximize your surface are in order to maximize the number of plants you
can float in it. More plants, more roots, more cleaning. A five foot deep VF
is probably no more prone to going aenerobic then an 2 foot deep one, but
over time you are more likely to clean the 2 footer then you are the 5
footer. Once signifigant mulm builds up, then you start having the aenerobic
problem. What I am saying is that it is not the depth that causes the
problem it's the depth causing you to not clean it that causes the problem.

Beside what would be the value of a 5 foot deep VF?

BV.

Veggie Filter? Sam Hopkins Ponds 6 19-11-2003 01:42 AM
Power filter intake tube depth Phil Dietz Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 18-11-2003 11:42 PM
Veggie Filter Plants Hey DJ Jeff Ponds 12 12-03-2003 08:11 PM
Uhh....guys, What the hell's on the veggie filter? DesertPond Ponds 9 12-03-2003 04:45 AM
Sun and the Veggie Filter BenignVanilla Ponds 1 30-01-2003 10:12 PM