Old 29-06-2004, 05:04 AM
Steve

Default Rid-X in ponds?

Recently I talked with several people who have started using Rid-X
septic tank treatment in their ponds to help digest the muck in the
bottom. They say it doesn't harm the fish or plants and is keeping
their ponds much cleaner.

Have any of you tried this? Is it really safe?
Old 30-06-2004, 02:08 AM
RichToyBox

I think that the type of bacteria used for a septic tank would have to be
one that is anaerobic and as such would digest the muck in the pond if the
muck were deep enough. It is a bad idea to have that much muck in a fish
pond, since the gasses given off are toxic to fish. I look at a number of
the bacteria on the market and some stink as they come out of the bottle,
indicating that they are sulfur fed anaerobic bacteria. I think they may
work in the corners of gravel filters, but shouldn't really have an
opportunity to work in a well oxygenated clean pond.
--
RichToyBox

Old 30-06-2004, 07:05 AM
Karen Mullen

When I had a septic tank in Houston, I was told yeast would do the same thing
as Rid-X for keeping the tank clean. I called to have it cleaned after 15years
and the fellow said there was nothing there to clean, so I guess yeast did what
Rid-x does for less money.

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 01-07-2004, 01:04 AM
Tom L. La Bron

Karen,

I have lived in homes with septic tanks for years. My
mother, when she moved to Texas, had been on the septic
tank that my dad had built for over 25 years and never
had a problem. When yeast was outdated she put it in
the toilet to flush it the septic tank. Once a year,
if she remembered it, she would put in some Rid-X and
the tank never need pumping. Now if you don't use one
right and put the wrong materials down it you can kill
it. Now my family ( a family of four) /mother
(eventually living by herself) never had a problem with
the septic tank, but she sold it to a guy who rented it
out, and within 6 months he was calling my mom and
asking here when was the last time she had it pumped.
He was shocked when she said never. The renters
evidential put something inappropriate into the system
and killed all the bacteria. If the septic tank is
taken care of it will work seamlessly with no problems
virtually indefinitely. Before my folks moved to
Kansas we lived in Iowa and the septic tank was never
pumped for about 15 years. Dad had it checked and the
gentleman told him that if did need it.

People who have to have their septic tank pumped it is
because of something that have they put in it which has
killed the bacteria. Some bleaches, even some soaps
and certainly certain cleaners can all kill bacteria.
This, of course, is all resting on the idea that the
septic tank and its lines have been put in properly.

Septic tanks work.

Tom L.L.

Old 01-07-2004, 01:05 AM
Tom L. La Bron

Hal,

It may interest you that virtually all the companies
that have been mentioned that produce Pond-Zyme, etc,
all deal in the area of waste management, and first
produced sewage treatment produces before getting in to
the pond area, especially the company that produces
microlift.

Tom L.L.
-----------------------------

Hal wrote:

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 03:34:36 GMT, (Steve) wrote:

Recently I talked with several people who have started using Rid-X
septic tank treatment in their ponds to help digest the muck in the
bottom. They say it doesn't harm the fish or plants and is keeping
their ponds much cleaner.

Have any of you tried this? Is it really safe?

I'm a bit more cautious about what I put into my pond, however I've
used Pond-Zyme Plus by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals and others recommend
BZT and some Microbe-Lift these seem to be related products, maybe
even the same thing.

If you go here and look under products:
http://www.united-tech.com/
You can probably guess why I wonder. Note the bottom product is
"Jewelry Cleaner"???

Bottom line: I don't know how you could find the answer to your
question. All these companies seem reluctant to name the bacteria
and enzymes in their product.

Regards,

Hal

Old 01-07-2004, 06:06 AM
Karen Mullen

In article , "Tom L. La Bron"
writes:

People who have to have their septic tank pumped it is
because of something that have they put in it which has
killed the bacteria. Some bleaches, even some soaps
and certainly certain cleaners can all kill bacteria.
This, of course, is all resting on the idea that the
septic tank and its lines have been put in properly.

I was also told cigarettes were death to the bacteria in a septic tank, so that
was a big rule in our house Do Not put cigarettes down the toilet.

Old 01-07-2004, 05:02 PM

how many people use bleach on white clothes?

(Karen Mullen) wrote:
I was also told cigarettes were death to the bacteria in a septic tank, so that
was a big rule in our house Do Not put cigarettes down the toilet.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:06 PM

Karen Mullen ) (01 Jul 2004 04:46:42 GMT):
I was also told cigarettes were death to the bacteria in a septic tank
was a big rule in our house Do Not put cigarettes down the toilet.

Not to mention in yourselves? Who really cares about the septic tank?
Smoking bad. Not smoking good. Yes, I am holier than thou, apparently.

--
'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`''`'`'`'`'`'`'`' `'`'`''`'`'`'`'`'`'`'
SLOTHEAD
Old 02-07-2004, 03:06 AM
bluegill phil

when planning my pond I thought about a clearwater system aerator. The
ones I saw were for septic tanks on land with poor perk test results.

Old 03-07-2004, 06:03 AM
CRC

But...no one has said they would put it in their pond!! .

CRC

Old 03-07-2004, 10:02 AM

CRC ) (Fri, 2 Jul 2004 23:14:43 -0600):
But...no one has said they would put it in their pond!! .

I asked this a while back...

From Thu Oct 11 21:23:36 2001
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Subject: CSA substitute

Has anybody tried Rid-X (is that right)?

Or some other septic tank treatment?

Or has that idea been proven not to be a good one?

'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`''`'`'`'`'`'`'`' `'`'`''`'`'`'`'`'`'`'
SLOTHEAD

From: John Rutz )
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: 2001-10-11 19:50:11 PST

I dont even use that in my septic tanks ( just buttermilk)
but I think the septic bacteria are anarobic

wrote:

Has anybody tried Rid-X (is that right)?

Or some other septic tank treatment?

Or has that idea been proven not to be a good one?

'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`''`'`'`'`'`'`'`' `'`'`''`'`'`'`'`'`'`'
SLOTHEAD

--
John Rutz

see my pond at http://www.fuerjefe.net
also links to my family history

But I don't have this sort of problem anyway.
See if there's anything he

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=rid-x

--
SLOTHEAD