Old 30-06-2004, 12:06 AM

Default common goldfish sick

streaking is almost always an indication that water quality is poor. how many
gallons of water, how many GF? what is your hardness, nitrates? how long have the
fish been in there did you test the water for ammonia every day?
Ingrid

"johnhuddleston" wrote:

hi, having recently moved my goldfish to a pond, I have noticed them looking
a bit peaky. One has developed what look like bloodvessels on his gill
scale, has lost a couple of scales near his tail and a few other places and
has some blood streaking in his tail(tho not all the way to the end of it)
the other two seem okay, but have a few scales missing. I have tested the
water and the results are 0 for ammonia and nitrates, and 8 for ph.

I`ve noticed the PH bounces from a ph of 7 in the morning to a as high as 9
of an evening. I know this is caused by plants/algae, could this be
affecting them negatively? the only other thing i can think of is some sort
of poisoning but everything was thouroughly cleaned before i put them in
there. any ideas?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 30-06-2004, 09:03 AM
johnhuddleston

wrote in message
streaking is almost always an indication that water quality is poor. how

many
gallons of water,

The pond is tiny so about 80 gallons, in a well shaded area, it gets about
30% sun at midday.

how many GF?

Three at 4-5 inches

what is your hardness

I have no way of testing its current hardness at the moment but here is the
breakdown of the water it is was filled with.
Analysis Typical
Value UK/European
Limit Unit

Hardness level SOFT No Standard Applies
Hardness Clarkes 3.6 No Standard Applies degree
Hardness 19 No Standard Applies mgCa/l
Aluminium 10 200 µgAl/l
Calcium 18 250 mgCa/l
Chloride 10 400 mgCl/l
Chlorine 0.16 mg/l
Coliform bacteria 0 0 no./100ml
Colour 1.55 20 mg/l Pt/Co
Conductivity 112 1500 µS/cm at 20
E.coli bacteria 0 0 no./100ml
Fluoride 922 1500 µgF/l
Iron 21 200 µgFe/l
Magnesium 2 50 mgMg/l
Manganese 3 50 µgMn/l
Nitrate 2 50 mgNO3/l
Odour 0 3 dilution No
Pesticides 0.0065 0.5 µg/l
pH 8.7 5.5 -9.5
Sodium 5 150 mgNa/l
Taste 0 3 dilution no.
Temperature 12.4 25 deg. celsius

Plumbing Metals

Zinc 8 5000 ugZn/l
Copper 14 3000 ugCu/l
Lead 7 50 ugPb/l

nitrates?

zero

how long have the fish been in there

About a month. in which time they have had 2 25% changes and one 50% change
(done after I had a PH reading of nearly 10 a couple of weeks back)

did you test the water for ammonia every day?

When it first cycled i tested every day, after that i just tested every
couple of days, I had one test come up positive for ammonia (the day i got
the near 10 reading for ph) tho it was only just registering on the test at
0.25, after a 50% change it dissapeared and the PH calmed down a bit, since
then ammonia and nitrates have been 0 with only the PH bouncing from morning
to evening

"johnhuddleston" wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 30-06-2004, 09:19 PM

sounds like water quality. also, with that small a pond the temp may be swinging
wildly. you will need to do more water changes to keep water fresh. also test every
day and keep ammonia, nitrites to near zero, nitrates no more than 20ppm., Ingrid

"johnhuddleston" wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 02-07-2004, 06:06 AM
Kodiak

Does every pond eventually need a water change?
How often and how much water for a 350gallon with
a bucket filter, plants, and 10 2inch goldfish?
....Kodiak

"johnhuddleston" wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 02-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Kodiak" wrote in message
.. .
Does every pond eventually need a water change?
How often and how much water for a 350gallon with
a bucket filter, plants, and 10 2inch goldfish?

snip

Save yourself some time and install an auto-water changer. In France they
call it a leak. I have one and it works great.

BV.

Old 02-07-2004, 03:05 PM
Donald K

Benign Vanilla wrote:

Save yourself some time and install an auto-water changer. In France
they call it a leak. I have one and it works great.

"Just one minute Pierre, I gotta go out to the pond and take a leak..."

-D
--
"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem,
see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable
Old 03-07-2004, 04:02 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 00:33:14 -0400, "Kodiak" wrote:

Does every pond eventually need a water change?
How often and how much water for a 350gallon with
a bucket filter, plants, and 10 2inch goldfish?
...Kodiak

I'm in the, try for 10%/week for an outdoor pond, group.

Ingrid, does a veggie filter get rid of heavy metals, hormones, natural
salts, and whatever else we always recommend water changes for, besides
nitrate, which I know the plants take care of? ~ jan
Old 03-07-2004, 03:05 PM

I would have to say that they must in nature. something has to suck up or break down
that stuff, plants and bacteria. we know WH suck up heavy metals, altho I cant
imagine how heavy metals would get into the pond. gotta remember that outdoor ponds
do get rain in them that dilutes out everything. I found this out the first year
with lake water low in nearly everything. rain diluted it even further to the point
pH began to get unstable. somebody lives in hot dry area with little to no rain and
a lot of evaporation and "salty" water outta the tap is going to have to keep beady
eye on salts.
OTOH, Jo Ann and Steve use 600 gallon water changes once a week in their big pond
with their big monster koi. they only have 2 pots of iris in the corners, no other
plants. just 2 big sisters. Ingrid

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
Ingrid, does a veggie filter get rid of heavy metals, hormones, natural
salts, and whatever else we always recommend water changes for, besides
nitrate, which I know the plants take care of? ~ jan

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

How common is Common Bistort? PeterGreenMan United Kingdom 10 25-05-2009 08:51 PM
Very Sick Goldfish pixi Ponds 4 18-02-2005 10:04 PM
Sick goldfish, advice requested Heather M. Fieldhouse Ponds 17 27-08-2004 03:48 PM
Sick Goldfish Martha Gillier Ponds 8 01-08-2004 05:02 PM
sick goldfish?? Steve Ponds 4 30-04-2003 12:56 PM