Old 07-07-2004, 10:25 PM
Registered User

Location: Nottingham
Default Frog Problems

This all starts with my little girl who having seen tadpoles in my In-Laws pond fell in love with them. I have now installed (if that is the right term) a small pond 6' x 3' and 3'deep at one end leading to a pebble beach at the other. The pond was designed to accomodate tadpoles and of course the frogs that they grow into. The introduction of some goldfish spurred their development on nicely and young frogs have started to emerge from the pond. Here is the problem; said young frogs are being found every day dead just beyond the pebble beach on a paving stone approx 8" wide just before the grass begins, they are tiny and dried completely by the sun. I have no idea if this is normal and represents the attrition rate in young frogs or if there is something that I have inadvertantly created that is killing them. If anyone knows the answer or has any ideas I really would appreciate them before my little girl discovers what is happening.

Thanks,

Andy.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:05 AM
Lostin1999

"Andy Smith" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

the only answer is to remove the paving slab, little frogs contain a little
water, if you drip one drop of water on said paving slab in full sun what
happens? I bet its not there long!!

the poor froglets are dehydrating and being cooked.. (ive had similar
problems when I put tadpoles into a patio pond several years ago.. so know
this is right)

the answers are not so easy tho, my advice would be to remove the slab,
get some more liner and make a small bog (will need wetting every day tho)
or something of the like.. even extend the pond the further 8"?

froglets do get killed at an alarming rate (my cat accounts for a LOT of
mine) but the only time froglets will get safe from yours is when its
raining...

HTH

Lost

Old 08-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Ka30P

on a paving stone approx 8" wide

Here. This is the problem.
Take it out if you can and put in grass
or extend your beach with enough depth
that it keeps it wet.
Also keep all fertilizer and herbicide away
from this area. Hand weed and use water from
the pond to feed the area.

Let us know if it helps.

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 08-07-2004, 07:51 AM
Registered User

Location: Nottingham

Thanks for the replies I shall remove the slab today and post after the weekend with an update.

Andy.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:02 PM
SVTKate

Andy...