Old 10-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Bill Stock

Default Chemistry/Plant help Please!

I posted this one before, but I'll try again.

My Lillies and Water Hyacinths seem to be deteriorating from the inside out.
Looks like they're burning up.

PH seems to be about 8, KH 300+, Total Hardness 75 or so. Nitrates and
Nitrites are nil. Plants did very well last year, WH took over the pond. I
have not added any Potash yet. GF seem OK. Algea is doing well.

Tested all this a couple of more times and checked the local water supply. A
more resonable set of readings would be PH 7.5+. KH 150+ and GH about 75.
The local water authority claims PH of 7.5, KH of 80+ and GH of 141. I've
got a limestone waterfall, so that's why the KH is higher. The strips say
to read them at 25 sevconds, but if I leave them they keep getting darker
and darker. So is 150 KH the real number?

Any thoughts on my "rotting plants", assuming my chemistry is reasonable?
The lillies have two flowers now, but have stopped opening during the day.
Too cool perhaps. I've added a heaping teaspoon of Potash to my 500 Imp
gallons for now.

Any help appreciated.

Old 10-07-2004, 07:04 PM
San Diego Joe

"Bill Stock" wrote:

[...]

This is probably a long shot, but are the leaves turning brown from the
outside inward? It may be there is too much salt in the water. If so, you
might try a partial water change.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

Old 10-07-2004, 11:07 PM
Bill Stock

"San Diego Joe" wrote in message
"Bill Stock" wrote:

[...]

The lilies are getting long perfectly straight cracks in them from the edge
to the middle. Then seem to be rotting away from the outside tp the inside
as you indicated. Until a couple of weeks ago the pond was getting constant
water changes, before I fixed my leaky waterfall. I'm not sure where any
salt would be coming from, how can I test for salt? Perhaps I was not adding
enough dechlor.

The Water Hyacinths look awful too, pale yellow and seem to be rotting away
from the outside. I did notice that one has a very large hole in it. I
suspect a bird did this. The Iris are completely gone now, eaten/rotted
away. I also noticed that last year's WH are doing much better than the new
WH. The old WH have small air filled bulbs, while the new WH have large
fibrous bulbs. The old WH were kept in the aquarium during the winter with
the GF and had basically NO roots when I put them outside. They've got 4"
roots now.

It might just be a lack of sun, it's been a very poor summer.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

Thanks Joe

Old 10-07-2004, 11:07 PM
Bill Stock

"Hal" wrote in message
On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 20:33:56 -0400, "Bill Stock"
wrote:

Tested all this a couple of more times and checked the local water

supply. A
more resonable set of readings would be PH 7.5+. KH 150+ and GH about 75.
The local water authority claims PH of 7.5, KH of 80+ and GH of 141. I've
got a limestone waterfall, so that's why the KH is higher. The strips

say
to read them at 25 sevconds, but if I leave them they keep getting darker
and darker. So is 150 KH the real number?

Any thoughts on my "rotting plants", assuming my chemistry is reasonable?
The lillies have two flowers now, but have stopped opening during the

day.
Too cool perhaps. I've added a heaping teaspoon of Potash to my 500 Imp
gallons for now.

My blooms only last for three days then drop below the surface and
fade away.

I don't know what to tell you about test strips, I use a differnt test
with drops and 5ml tubes from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc, but your
limestone waterfall caught my eye. I use a sock full of ground
limestone to buffer my pH and it ususally keeps it around 7.8 mornings
and 8.2 evenings. My lilies are in pots with garden soil and stones
to keep the fish from rooting through the dirt and expelling it to the
pond floor.

Yes my Lillies are in stone covered baskets to keep the GF out. PH seems to
hover between 7 and 8. I think my limestone (KH) keeps it pretty stable.

I've only seen water hyacinths rot in a 20 gallon container of water
from very acid water, pH below 6 caused by rain. I've heard they
don't grow well in very high pH either. I hope someone else can help
you.

I had not heard this. I'll have to do some more reading.

Thanks.

Regards,

Hal

Old 10-07-2004, 11:07 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

WH can't take up the nutrients when the pH seems to be very high or very
low, I don't know what the exact numbers are, but my educated guess is 6.5
to 8.5 with the middle being the best. As with all plants, taking up
nutrients becomes less and less as the scale goes higher or lower from
their best point. Which, btw, is also how efficient one's bacterial works
in one's filter.

WH though have been an enigma around here, making me wonder if the south
finally found a way to control them, sprayed the lot unknowingly to
vendors, who shipped them north and now they're all failing to thrive?

I've got a pH of 8 in my koi pond and usually by this time have HUGH WH in
my filter, they rotted away this year. Yet ones that were put in holding
tubs with lilies and a few tadpoles lived, didn't grow vigorously, but are
green and have small babies. One of those I just recently moved to the
filter to see what happens. Salt level 0.08% and I've had WH thrive in salt
of 0.12% before. ~ jan

Old 11-07-2004, 02:05 AM
Bill Stock

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

Yep, not sure what's up with the WH this year. I've added Potash, so we
will see.

I've only seen water hyacinths rot in a 20 gallon container of water
from very acid water, pH below 6 caused by rain. I've heard they
don't grow well in very high pH either. I hope someone else can help
you.

I had not heard this. I'll have to do some more reading.

According to my crappy test strips. PH 7 - 8, KH 150+ and GH 75+. Not sure
why GH is so low, when the tap water is 140+.

Old 11-07-2004, 06:02 AM
Karen Mullen

In article , "Bill Stock"
writes:

Any thoughts on my "rotting plants",

I had some WH I bot start to turn brown and rot, but I added potash once a week
for 3 weeks and they are now putting out new growth from the rotted area and
are a healthy looking green.

Also, when I lived in Houston, TX I had a ph of 9 in my pond and my WH and WL
did fine, grew like mad, so I'm not so sure a high ph will kill them.

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 14-07-2004, 03:08 PM
Happy'Cam'per

Bill

Your plants are'nt doing well because they have nothing to munch on!!! You
say your Nitrates are NIL. Either remove 2 thirds of all WH or add more fish
to keep the balance. I would just remove most of the plants that are'nt
looking too hot and give it a week or so. The Nitrate should build up again
and your plants will flourish. Also add that Potash aswell.
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**