Old 14-07-2004, 02:04 PM
Go Fig

Default How do I clear up green pond? HELP!

Opps, I correct myself and apologize. There was no link to this OP
filter and picture... it was another "green water" subject thread that
I confused it with.

That said, we still don't know enough to draw conclusions IMHO.

Green water needs phosphates, higher pH and warming water, fish for the
most part are generally incidental in early spring and early summer
outbreaks.

jay
Sun Jul 11, 2004

In article , Go Fig
wrote:

In article , Karen Mullen
wrote:

I read this post and the original one posted awhile back, I see no mention
of
filter except plants.

You should follow the link, thats why I said "picture and description"

In addition to 9 fish in 500 gallons she also has
tadpoles and snails. That many fish, regardless of size, puts a heavy load
on
the ecobalance of the pond.

Sounds interesting, but I don't know what it means. Champion koi start
out with much, much less water/koi ratio then 9/500gal.

Unless she had a 500 gallon filter, water quality
will suffer and the fish will start to die off until it comes into its own
balance, then it will clear.

Are you saying, but for the fish, the water would be clear... is that
what you are saying ?

Telling her a UV will solve her problems is not
giving her a fair assessment of what she is dealing with.

Not following the link is not giving yourself enough information.

This is a new pond
and it is overstocked.

I disagree that it is overstocked, cause we don't know to make that
call.

jay
Sun Jul 11, 2004

Karen

In article , Go Fig
writes:

I don't think that's a fair conclusion. Inches of fish is far more
important than actual numbers as well as the amount of food being
given. As to the filtration, it seems more than able to handle the
load, with lots of WH, lava prefilter and reasonable aeration. If the
picture and description still holds true.

This water would probably be green without a single fish in it.

Add a UV, see your fish again this week. Keep on eye on your water
quality and change 100 gallons a month... fill the tub with WH,
protected from the fish.

Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 14-07-2004, 03:07 PM

than you Karen. I was rolling thru the threads waiting for a sharp eye to catch the 5
koi/4 GF in a 500 gallon. WAY overstocked. the green may be all that is keeping the
water from being completely toxic. Ingrid

(Karen Mullen) wrote:

In article ,

(WilsonKKW) writes:

What should I do? 500gallon pond 5 Koi
4 Comets.

5 koi in 500 gallons is too many and add the 4 comets, you're overstocked. you
didn't mention what type of filtration you have, but it better be more than
good.

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 14-07-2004, 03:07 PM
WilsonKKW

Google Groups is a great resource for researching
past postings:

thank you.
Old 15-07-2004, 06:02 AM
Lostin1999

"WilsonKKW" wrote in message
my pond is so green I can't see the fish.What should I do? 500gallon pond

5 Koi
4 Comets. I was told more plants I have 3 Iris, 2 lily pads,4 Water

Lettuce,3
parrot feathers,4 Hyacinths,

add a few underwater plants/oxygenators???

get a uv?

bio filter???

HTH

Lost

Old 18-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Karen Mullen

I read this post and the original one posted awhile back, I see no mention of a
filter except plants. In addition to 9 fish in 500 gallons she also has
tadpoles and snails. That many fish, regardless of size, puts a heavy load on
the ecobalance of the pond. Unless she had a 500 gallon filter, water quality
will suffer and the fish will start to die off until it comes into its own
balance, then it will clear. Telling her a UV will solve her problems is not
giving her a fair assessment of what she is dealing with. This is a new pond
and it is overstocked.

Karen

Old 18-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Go Fig

Opps, I correct myself and apologize. There was no link to this OP
filter and picture... it was another "green water" subject thread that
I confused it with.

That said, we still don't know enough to draw conclusions IMHO.

Green water needs phosphates, higher pH and warming water, fish for the
most part are generally incidental in early spring and early summer
outbreaks.

jay
Sun Jul 11, 2004

In article , Go Fig