Old 15-07-2004, 06:02 AM
WilsonKKW

Default How do I clear up green pond? HELP!

my pond is so green I can't see the fish.What should I do? 500gallon pond 5 Koi
4 Comets. I was told more plants I have 3 Iris, 2 lily pads,4 Water Lettuce,3
parrot feathers,4 Hyacinths,
Old 15-07-2004, 08:02 AM
KCnRichmond

How many times you gonna ask? The basics were laid out to you in your
7/4/04 post by several.....What are you wantin' to hear, that there's a
magical time with gnomes & crap that "poof" its clear......You just put it
in in May....Jeez...Slow down, the fish ain't the most important thing
there.....

Old 15-07-2004, 08:03 AM
Gail Futoran

"WilsonKKW" wrote
[snip]
be nice! I'm a newbie,and I've lost the past postings

Google Groups is a great resource for researching
past postings:
http://groups.google.com/
Use Advanced Groups Search and specify the
newsgroup and a topic. I will often limit the dates
which helps you narrow down to a thread that
includes your question. But you'll find the same
answers to the same question asked by everyone.

Time is probably the most important "cure", all
else being equal. You can't do better than read
carefully Kathy's (Ka30P) posts on the subject.

Gail

Old 15-07-2004, 08:03 AM
Go Fig

In article ,
KCnRichmond wrote:

How many times you gonna ask? The basics were laid out to you in your
7/4/04 post by several.....What are you wantin' to hear, that there's a
magical time with gnomes & crap that "poof" its clear......You just put it
in in May....Jeez...Slow down, the fish ain't the most important thing
there.....

Shouldn't the individual ponder get to decided what is most important
to them?

What's easier to replace, a 'pet' or a plant ?

Get a UV, damn close to magic when it comes to pea soup water.

jay
Sat Jul 10, 2004

Old 17-07-2004, 01:03 AM
Go Fig

In article , WilsonKKW
wrote:

my pond is so green I can't see the fish.What should I do? 500gallon pond 5
Koi
4 Comets. I was told more plants I have 3 Iris, 2 lily pads,4 Water
Lettuce,3
parrot feathers,4 Hyacinths,

Get an 8 watt UV:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...000&N=62728+11
3341

jay
Sat Jul 10, 2004

Old 17-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Ka30P

Plants is right. Also learning about the life and loves of algae helps. Below
is all the hard won knowledge of rec.ponds over the years. Any and all can
help.

ALGAE PRIMER
~ Nutrients for all forms of algae are sun, new water, fish waste, fertilized
run off, rotting plants, blown in dirt.
~ New ponds and spring ponds need time for plants to get established, algae is
quicker at getting going.
The following is a collection of algae suggestions from many rec.ponders:
~ add plants, of any kind, in the pond. Especially underwater plants.
~ or build a veggie filter* see below (one of the best and prettiest way to
clear a pond)
~ Shade is good - provided by lily pads, floating plants or artificial shade
for part of the day.
~ LOW fish stocking (good rule of thumb for recreational ponders is 20 gallons
per goldfish, 100 per koi after starting with 1,000 gallons) and *not*
overfeeding the fish. Too many fish and too much feeding is probably
responsible for most pea soup water, followed closely by too much decaying
plant matter, sludge and overall gunk in the water
~ clean up dead plant matter and screen for falling leaves in the fall. Clean
out pond once a year.
~ building ponds with bottom drains and skimmers.
~ do not use algaecides, they only make lots of suddenly dead algae and that
will feed the next algae bloom.
~ do not use products to dye to the water...
~ do not worry about algae that grows on things (substrate algae) this is good
for a pond
~ gently remove string algae
or read http://www.sfbakc.org/koienews/clayvsclay.html
or some rec.ponders like String Algae Buster
~ water movement and occasional water changes of 10%
~ add a sludge consumer, concentrated bacteria.
some rec.ponders use http://www.united-tech.com/m-aq4u-toc.html
~ Check your pH, too high, over 8.8, or too low, under 6.4, and most higher
plant forms can't take up the nutrients.
~ UV lights work on suspended algae (green water) - does cost some $$
~ adding a combination mechanical and biological filter to screen gunk, dead
algae and convert fishy ammonia waste for fish health.
~ some rec.ponders like barley straw
http://www.aquabotanic.com/barleyarticle.html
~ patience, more patience, remember to be patient and time ;-)
~ personally, in my experience, I can vouch for few fish, a plant filter and
patience

*Plant filter ~ running the pond's water through plants
- as easy as floating water hyacinth in top of a stock tank and planting
watercress in your waterfall (my method ;-)
or
Ingrid's post on plant filters:
"The essence of a plant filter is a water proof container with the water from
the pond
being pumped in one end flowing thru the roots of various plants and flowing
back
into the pond at the other end.
It needs to be long enough that solids settle to the bottom OR have filter
material
that will slow or hold the solids (and get rinsed out periodically).
It needs plants of different kinds to maximize removal of all wastes.
it needs sufficient amount of plants to remove in one day all the wastes
produced by
the fish load in one day. It needs plants with extensive roots and/or plants
that get big so they used up more
nutrients. It needs to be only 8-12" deep so it doesn't go anaerobic."
or go he
http://www.iheartmypond.com/Design/D...rs/default.asp

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 17-07-2004, 10:03 PM
WilsonKKW

Google Groups is a great resource for researching
past postings:

thank you.
Old 18-07-2004, 10:05 PM

I had a new 220 for my mother. got 12 itsy bitsy feeder GF. 2 survived. this was
before knowing about cycling.
first address the basic questions about the setup. then stocking. she has to get
the koi outta there, the pond is too small.
Ingrid

Go Fig wrote:
I don't think that's a fair conclusion. Inches of fish is far more
important than actual numbers as well as the amount of food being
given. As to the filtration, it seems more than able to handle the
load, with lots of WH, lava prefilter and reasonable aeration. If the
picture and description still holds true.

This water would probably be green without a single fish in it.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:38 PM

Try the New product AlgaeFix
Plant & fish safe - 8, 16, & 64 oz bottles available
For ponds containing live fish and plants (does not kill live plants)
Helps control "green water" algae blooms, blanketweed (Oedogonium) and
string algae
Previously, all algicides were non-selective and killed or damaged all
plants in the pond along with the algae
An E.P.A. registered selective algae-control product that solves aglae
problems
It keeps ornamental ponds and water gardens clean and clear and it
kills existing algae and controls additional algae blooms

You can find this product at wholesale prices at
www.backyard-lifestyle.com