Old 11-07-2004, 12:09 AM
Gareee©

Default UV lights.. I'm tired of my green pond!

I've been trying plants, and barley straw now for over a month, and my green
hasn't even subsided a little.

Has anyone built a low cost UV light setup, and if they haven't, what size
would I need for a 14'x14' by 2-3 foot deep pond?

Who go the cheapest online prices for these?

--
Gareee©
Homepage:

Old 11-07-2004, 01:04 AM
Bob H

Avoid "CALPUMP" products, they are inexpensive but you get what you pay for,
my first one lasted 2 whole months before the transformer MELTED!

Old 11-07-2004, 02:05 AM
RichToyBox

The size of the uv is best determined by the water flow from your pumps.
Aquatic Eco catalog has a lot of good info on sizing. If your pump is too
strong for the amount of uv you are willing to spring for, get a small pump
to run the uv you get. I have 80 watt uv's for both ponds, but that is due
to the size of the pumps. I have seen ponds of 9000+ gallons cleared with
small 16 or 20 watt units.
--
RichToyBox

Old 11-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Gareee©

I'll try froogle, and see what I can come up with. When you are using Barley
straw, does the green turn to brown before it finally fades away? We both
noticed here today, that the pond no longer looks green, but looks a murky
dark brown.

I'm *hoping* the alge has died, and I'll wake up to clear water, and happy
fish tomorrow.

Old 11-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Go Fig

In article 350Ic.54981$%_6.9574@attbi_s01, RichToyBox
wrote:

The size of the uv is best determined by the water flow from your pumps.
Aquatic Eco catalog has a lot of good info on sizing. If your pump is too
strong for the amount of uv you are willing to spring for, get a small pump
to run the uv you get. I have 80 watt uv's for both ponds, but that is due
to the size of the pumps. I have seen ponds of 9000+ gallons cleared with
small 16 or 20 watt units.

With 2 "tee" fittings and a gate valve you can easily control the flow
via the UV.

jay
Sat Jul 10, 2004

Old 11-07-2004, 05:02 AM
Ka30P

I haven't used barley straw, but other rec.ponders have and maybe they can
answer your question.

Gareee wrote When you are using Barley
straw, does the green turn to brown before it finally fades away? We both
noticed here today, that the pond no longer looks green, but looks a murky
dark brown.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 14-07-2004, 01:08 PM
Gareee©

"Susan H. Simko" wrote in message

No ponding for a while.. our kitty of 15 years passed on overnight, and

we
are just down.

So sorry to hear that! My mother lost her 9 y.o. cat suddenly and
unexpectedly last week. Made me think how I'll deal with losing any one
of my four.

Thaks, Susan. Pretty sad days here. We are keeping busy to keep our minds
off things. We had a 10x16 shed delivered yesterday, and we started
installing a 12x32 foot deck today.

Another good cambatant for green water is plant cover. My pond has
about a 65-70% coverage. My mother-in-law complains that it's hard to
see the fish but I disagree. Just bring out some food and they're
there! *grin* I've also not had any visits so far (knock on wood) from
any of the herons in and around our area. I imagine they don't see much
use to stopping at a place where they can not see any dinner.

Haven't seen our fish for weeks now. The green has turned to brown, and
that's a good sign (we have our own "black lagoon" now! LOL!)

I fished out the WH that didn't make it, but it seems about 1/2 survived,
and are thriving.

Good news, at least.

Old 14-07-2004, 01:08 PM
Growl

Look for a product on the internet, or at your local pond supplier, called
for a product called "Green Water Clarifier". It is a coagulant that clumps
the particles together for easy removal by your filter. It safe for the fish
when used as directed.

In message , "Gareee?"
wrote:
[...]

Posted with Ink Spot (for PocketPC)

Old 17-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Ka30P

Gareee, have you tried Froogle.com?
I was noodling around this the other day and
thought it would be a good way to comparison shop.

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 18-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Gareee©

"GrannyGrump" wrote in message

Gareee wrote When you are using Barley
straw, does the green turn to brown before it finally fades away? We both
noticed here today, that the pond no longer looks green, but looks a

murky
dark brown.

Yes.

Short answer, but what I was hoping for.