Old 15-07-2004, 07:05 AM
Dsybok

Default LA area rock question

Greetings,

Im new to the group, Ive kept koi in small ponds for around 15 years, but
recently took the plunge, heh heh, and dug myself a 600 or so gallon
flexible liner pond. Fortunately my climate makes this a year round hobby
and Im looking forward to that.

Right now I am using seed water from the old pond, and a barrel style
trickle bio ball filter which ran in my old 100 gallon pond for several
weeks, so I anticipate the new pond to have its bio system up very quickly.
I added 4 small koi which inhabited my old pond but wont add additional fish
for several weeks.

Anyway, on to my question, can any fellow pond o philes suggest a local
source ( Long Beach area) for landscaping rock? I need at least 50 or so
natural boulder rocks for my pond borders and waterfall construction. Im
planning to surround the back and sides with natural rock border and the
front edge with flagstones. Then build up a waterfall area , probably
without mortar to camoflage my filter unit which connects to the pond via a
5 gallon pre formed streambed section which I will also fill and hide with
boulders and rock.

Thanks for your help

Old 16-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Zeuspaul

Thompson's has a good selection natural rock. 405 south to the Harbor
freeway. South on the Harbor freeway to PCH. Thompson's is on PCH at the
Harbor freeway on the East side of the Harbor freeway on the south side of
PCH.

Lowes has a limited selection of natural paving rock that may suit your
needs.

Dsybok wrote in article
et...

Old 16-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Zeuspaul

oops...that would be north on the 405 to the Harbor freeway

Zeuspaul wrote in article
01c46acb$8bcd2800$331a480c@zeus1...

Old 16-07-2004, 08:02 AM
Dsybok

Thanks, Lowes is not panning out, too fake looking and nothing in the colors
I want for the flagstones, and they dont carry natural boulders. Ill look
this place up.

Old 16-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Just Me \Koi\

If all else fails, drive some 40 miles north to my area and pick all the
rocks you want for free!
My area being Rancho Cucamonga (Alta Loma to be specific. North of the
Ontario Airport.)

You will need 3 or 4 manly men, a heavy duty truck, and some kind of
implement to move rocks from ground on to your beefy truck!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

ink.net...

Old 16-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Dsybok

Sorry, I just sold my "beefy truck" which was a grand caravan and could only
hold about 500 pounds worth before becoming a little tipsy at speed.

Now im down to renting a truck from somewhere just to get 10 bags of mulch
and a couple dozen boulders. Hopefully some local company has already driven
up by you , picked up what I need, and will sell me said items for a
reasonable profit! I bet not...

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
If all else fails, drive some 40 miles north to my area and pick all the
rocks you want for free!
My area being Rancho Cucamonga (Alta Loma to be specific. North of the
Ontario Airport.)

You will need 3 or 4 manly men, a heavy duty truck, and some kind of
implement to move rocks from ground on to your beefy truck!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

ink.net...

Old 17-07-2004, 08:02 AM
Just Me \Koi\

I don't know. But around here you don't need to do that. We grow them by
the thousands. There is a road that runs parallel to the new 210 freeway
(19th Street), at the Campus Avenue exit there is a massive development
(thousands of acres I bet). They a re moving some rocks! Stop by your spot
of choice and load up! We all do it right in front of the police officers
setting speed traps. Ok to pick, but illegal to dump!

All the rock around my pond came from inside the hole. Sometimes I feel
like if you need a rock, just dig a hole anywhere in the yard, there will be
a rock inside.

--
_______________________________________

Old 17-07-2004, 08:02 AM
Just Me \Koi\

There is plenty left to do a trillion billion jizillion ponds!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

ink.net...

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
If all else fails, drive some 40 miles north to my area and pick all the
rocks you want for free!
My area being Rancho Cucamonga (Alta Loma to be specific. North of the
Ontario Airport.)

You will need 3 or 4 manly men, a heavy duty truck, and some kind of
implement to move rocks from ground on to your beefy truck!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

ink.net...

Old 17-07-2004, 08:04 PM
Dsybok

So you think its okay to just go on up and pick up what I need from the side
of the road around that spot? If so Im going to rent a truck and do so, I
havent been able to find anything close to what I need around here (
Lakewood) and being a floodplain, I cant dig and find anything but clay.

Thanks

Old 18-07-2004, 07:03 AM
Just Me \Koi\

It is perfectly ok. Bring reinforcement! Rock picking is a back breaking
endeavor. You may want to drive by and look at the rocks before you spend
money renting a truck!

BTW, I will not be online for the next 2 weeks. On vacation to the East
Coast.

--
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

ink.net...