Old 18-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Ka30P

Default snail update

We pulled out the pump and while there were snail
shells in the basket there were not any in the old
pump or in the piping. Thank goodness!!

So a new pump is in.
Water hyacinths back in the filter.
Waterfall running.
Lots of smooshed snails on the bottom of
the pond.
Bought four pretty koi and put them in
and this morning I saw one wrastling with a
land snail that had fallen in the pond. I think
they are going to do a bang up job of desnailing
the pond.

On the other hand.... the curse of the ivy is still
with us.
We killed it all and have been remodeling the beds
where it had taken over. Today DH went out to work
on one of the beds and went INSANE. He pulled out
all the timbers and stair steps spread dirt hither
and thither and now I've got loose dirt everywhere
covering every possible way in and out of the house
and the band is loading and unloading four times
in the next two days
and this takes about 25 trips out of the house
each time they take the stuff out and 25 trips when
they bring the stuff back in the middle of the night
through all this loose dirt and they are doing
this twice and I'm NOT happy.

kathy :-(

Old 18-07-2004, 05:02 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Wait.... wait.... I'll say it, I can get away with it, she has to see me
sometimes.... heck, I just may ride my bike over this evening:

PROZAC! K30, PROZAC! ;o) ~ jan

Old 18-07-2004, 06:02 AM
Ka30P

:-P
LOL!

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 18-07-2004, 09:02 AM
zookeeper

Congrats on the new koi! Hope all goes well in acclimating them to their new
home.

Instant solution to potential mess in house:

Station DH with vacuum or shop vac or hand vac, broom and dustpan if
necessary, etc., at whichever doorway band is using (and make sure they only
use one doorway at a time!!! -- think locks!!!) He is most likely the cause
of the mess, he can be the cure as well!!! even if it's in the middle of the
night.
Sorry, not having a good day with DH and teenage males in my house today.
I'm soooo out-numbered.
--
Zk

"Ka30P" wrote ...

Old 18-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Tom L. La Bron

Karen,

At my mom and dad's house my mother planted a Mock
Orange at the end of one of the long lateral lines and
it was beautiful. Unfortunately, it seems to have lost
favor in landscapes today, which is a shame. It was so
beautiful and on warm summer evenings sitting out on
the back patio with the Mock Orange about 100 feet away
it would fill the evening atmosphere with a
intoxicating fragrance that lent peace to the entire
scene washing away any troubles or problems that had
picked at you through the day.

Find a good fertilizer and give it some feedings, you
too will be blessed.

Tom L.L.
---------------------------------------
Karen Mullen wrote:
In article ,
EROSPAM (Ka30P) writes:

On the other hand.... the curse of the ivy is still
with us.
We killed it all and have been remodeling the beds
where it had taken over.

oh can I identify with that. when I bot this house the previous owner did NO
yard work and the ivy spread along the chain link fence and was pulling it
down. it took my and my blessed neighbor all summer the first year to get that
D**M stuff from in and around and thru the fence. also discovered after
removing the stuff that it had almost choked and killed a mock orange. it made
a comeback this summer and oh did it smell so sweet.

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 19-07-2004, 05:03 AM
Karen Mullen

In article , "Tom L. La Bron"
writes:

about 100 feet away
it would fill the evening atmosphere with a
intoxicating fragrance that lent peace to the entire
scene washing away any troubles or problems that had
picked at you through the day.

boy you can say that again! I have a screened in porch about 25 ft away from
the plant and although it didn't put out many blooms, what it did filled the
air. they're done now, but my oriental lilies are taking their place, an
intoxicated fragrance.

BTW do you know who big the mock orange can get? this one's main stalk was
choked by the ivy, but it has sent out new growth from the stump. (Thank gaud
I didn't pull it).

Old 19-07-2004, 05:08 PM
Tom L. La Bron

Karen,

The size of the Mock Orange depends on the variety that
you have planted. A number of bushes are sold as Mock
Oranges and they are all part of the family and are
similar in appearance, but do not all have the
intoxicating fragrance or do they all grow the same
height.

A hybrid called Philadelphus coronarius, CHEYENNE is
only 7 feet X 6 feet, but the North American wild or
natural Philadelphus coronarius grows 8-10 feet X 8-10
feet (and in places has noted at getting to 9 - 16
feet). The Native Philadelphus lewisii only grow to 6
feet. Philadelphus inodorus gets to 10 feet and is
very fragrant.

There are over 32 plus different species that can come
under the common name Mock Orange, but some are very
area specific.

Most species do well without a lot of watering. I know
that was true of the one my mother had because she was
not a person big on watering the lawn or anything once
it was established.

The one we had in our yard was at least 10 plus feet in
height and it was never pruned, we just took out the
dead limbs when they were seen during the spring
inspection. If yours has a good root base, a hand full
or two of a balanced fertilizer would probably do it a
world of good.

My mothers plant seemed to bloom for a long period of
time from May through most of July, fading away at the
temperature got higher as August approached. In any
event, a lot of people enjoyed it because we lived
right near the 3rd hole and 4 tee of a golf course and
when it bloom most people would stop and take notice of
the scent floating through the air.

Good luck and enjoy. It will probably bring you years
of enjoyment with little fussing.

Tom L.L.
Karen Mullen wrote:
In article , "Tom L. La Bron"
writes:

[...]

LG Update: Birds of America (was Alexis Bledel update) Rob Jensen Ponds 0 26-12-2007 12:03 AM
snail update Ka30P Ponds 6 25-07-2004 03:02 AM
FW Planted tank snail control. coigula Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 16-11-2003 09:02 PM
slug and snail control Snooze Gardening 16 05-03-2003 12:51 PM
slug and snail control Snooze Roses 21 04-03-2003 07:53 PM