Old 30-07-2004, 01:59 AM
Ann in Houston

Default Leak question

Is it possible for a leak in the bottom of the pond to only drain the water
down to a certain dept, and not empty the whole pond?

Old 30-07-2004, 02:06 AM
RichToyBox

Not likely, but possible. The leak is probably at the level the pond drains
to, and a very thorough search of that level is called for. It is possible
that the water table is high enough that the pond will only leak to a given
level, because if it tried to leak lower water would run back into the pond.
--
RichToyBox

Old 30-07-2004, 02:14 AM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Work your way around the pond with a dropper of milk. A drop where you
think the leak is will show you a leak by being drawn through the hole
instead of dispersed in the water. You could let it drain to a stopping
point, add about 1/4" of water, then do the milk routine.

Good luck.

jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 30-07-2004, 02:53 AM
Ann in Houston

This is what I think is happening. I was in the pond earlier this evening,
trying to force air or water or whatever is making the big "bump" under the
liner and lifting it up. I figured if I stepped on the bubble, I could see
the water coming back in through the hole. Instead, I saw an eddy in the
middle of the pond, right over where I was standing. My son thinks I made a
new hole, but I don't. It's been over an hour, and the water isn't any
lower.

Old 31-07-2004, 02:46 AM
RichToyBox

There have been a number of people that have had water bubble up under the
liner. A Google search of rec.ponds will show some of the solutions, which
include putting a pipe down between the dirt and liner to allow the water to
escape, trenching around the pond to allow the water a different path, or
pumping water from below the liner. If the water level in your pond is not
higher than the surrounding ground level, then water can build up under the
liner. If the water level is higher than the surrounding ground level, the
pond is heavier than the water under the liner and it will be forced up and
around the liner. If the water builds up under the liner, it can cause the
pond to overflow as the water gets thicker and thicker under the liner.
When the water under the liner finally subsides, the liner settles back
down, looking like it has leaked. If you can't raise the side of your pond
to get the water level higher, one of the members of rec.ponds said that
they put a large boulder in the pond. The boulder is about 2 1/2 to 3 times
heavier than water so would help to hold the bottom down.

Before you start trying to locate a leak, see if you can get the water out
from under the liner. It there is a leak, the water in the pond will
continue to fall. If there is no leak, the liner will settle down to the
bottom and the water level will not go lower.