Old 30-07-2004, 07:22 PM
zookeeper

Default K30 would be proud ;-)

Earlier this month, I rec'd two apple snail egg cases from another generous
ponder. Suspended the eggcases over some pond water in a plastic container,
and watched those teeny, tiny snails creep out and into the water.

Decided to raise the snails indoors to protect them from our ravenous koi,
so they're now living in a three gallon flat round goldfish bowl on my
kitchen counter. Threw in some parrot feather and anacharis from the pond,
and have been removing and replacing the pond water as needed.

Fun to watch these little critters grow -- gave them an algae wafer
yesterday and it looks like they've doubled in size overnight. It was also
amazing to watch how quickly they found the algae wafer -- within an hour it
was covered with these little guys and it was gone within six hours. Of
course, it fouled the water so won't repeat that experiment too soon, or at
least will limit the size of the wafer.
--
Kathy, aka Zk
Oregon, USDA Zone 7

Old 30-07-2004, 07:27 PM
Ka30P

Kathy wrote Decided to raise the snails indoors to protect them from our
ravenous koi,
so they're now living in a three gallon flat round goldfish bowl on my
kitchen counter.

:-))))))) I am so proud!!! LOL!

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 01-08-2004, 04:16 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

It is noce they are doing well. Now that the growth is visible, it will
speed up. The do fine on goldfish or catfish food.

Jim