Old 24-07-2004, 08:35 PM
Malcolm McRoberts

Default iris has strange pest

I've got a 20 gallon pond in a lined barrel.
Somethings been chewing holes in my iris, and
in my water lily leaves. Kind of like someone
used a paper hole punch on them.

The iris also has a soft spot in the thick base
of one of the leaves, there's mush leaf stuff
and little black and green spheres (about 1/8 inch).
These don't appear to move or have legs, they look
more like seeds or eggs or something. I don't
see any flying or crawling bugs on the plants.

The pond is on a screened porch, and it's also
got goldfish. Everybody seems happy, though
the iris has overgrown its pot.

There's also some potted plants on the porch
which have some problems with mealy bugs, but
that doesn't seem related.

Does anybody recoginize this?

-malcolm

Iridaceae - Iris Victoria Falls - bearded irisIridaceae - Iris Victoria Falls - bearded iris Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 2 01-02-2009 10:24 PM
rosebush has pest - what is it? link to photo someone_else United Kingdom 0 25-07-2008 06:49 PM
strange lawn pest Micro* Lawns 17 12-08-2006 07:50 AM
iris has strange pest Malcolm McRoberts Ponds 1 26-07-2004 12:02 PM
A strange sight at Home Depot...nothing strange at all about their practice! Roy Gardening 3 01-04-2004 07:41 AM