Old 08-08-2006, 05:37 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default strange lawn pest

Hi all,
This one has everybody stumped.
Some history, I used to have a hybrid bermuda lawn, till Trugreen killed
it(another story).
After most of the bermuda died and only small clumps would come back, there
appeared small mounds of fine castings, like tiny ant hills 1/4 to 3/8 "
dia. these were very fine round pellets. They became so thick they buried
what bermuda was left.....End of bermuda, so I dug up the rest of the
bermuda, flooded the area with Seven(recommended by nursery) and tilled,
added compost, tilled it in, leveled, rolled and ordered Marathon 3 sod,
before laying the sod I put down a layer of Bayer granules(again
recommended) and laid the sod.
So far so good. Two months later the sod is dieing out in large areas, look
at the problem and sure enough the sod is getting buried again, chocking the
crowns of the grass. OK called the county ag dept, their answer"I Donno", so
much for taxpayers money...
Any guesses?????

--
"shut up and keep diggen"
Jerry

Old 08-08-2006, 11:08 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

-- "Micro*" wrote in message
[...]

Have you examined this possibility?

http://www.molecrickets.com/

Old 08-08-2006, 05:08 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Micro*" wrote:
Lawn services are NOT a good thing, they spread things from one lawn to

another..DAMHIKT....

Haha! What did they spread to your lawn?
Old 08-08-2006, 05:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"The_Critic" wrote in message

Have you examined this possibility?

http://www.molecrickets.com/

In the process of renovating the lawn, I looked VERY closely for any
insects, couldn't see anything other than the normal things you would expect
to see. By the way,if it makes a difference, I live in So.Cal., SanDiego.
I'm thinking, since the ag. dept. didn't know, maybe it's some imported
bug??

Old 08-08-2006, 05:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Jose wrote:
Steveo wrote:
"Micro*" wrote:

Lawn services are NOT a good thing, they spread things from one lawn

another..DAMHIKT....

Haha! What did they spread to your lawn?

you think that's funny?

Yes, lots of bullshit is funny to me.

if you kill a lawn it's just more work for u,

People pay me to kill them.

huh. whatta guy.

Thanks, Scott.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:25 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Steveo wrote:
"Micro*" wrote:

Lawn services are NOT a good thing, they spread things from one lawn to

another..DAMHIKT....

Haha! What did they spread to your lawn?

you think that's funny? if you kill a lawn it's just more work for u,
huh. whatta guy.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:18 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Jose" wrote in message
news
Steveo wrote:
"Micro*" wrote:

Lawn services are NOT a good thing, they spread things from one lawn to

another..DAMHIKT....

Haha! What did they spread to your lawn?

you think that's funny? if you kill a lawn it's just more work for u,
huh. whatta guy.

Thanks for the sympathy Jose.

What they spred was a very nasty weed that had to be hand dug to get rid of
it, this appeared right after they areated my lawn. And maybe the bugs I
have now????
By the way, Steveo, Maybe you wouldn't think this funny if you came out and
renovated my backyard in the 100+ deg. heat.
Don't bother answering this, you're plonked......

Back to the problem at hand, anyone???

--
"shut up and keep diggen"
Jerry

Old 09-08-2006, 03:04 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Micro* said:

"Jose" wrote in message
news
Steveo wrote:
"Micro*" wrote:

Lawn services are NOT a good thing, they spread things from one lawn to

another..DAMHIKT....

Haha! What did they spread to your lawn?

you think that's funny? if you kill a lawn it's just more work for u,
huh. whatta guy.

Thanks for the sympathy Jose.

Please don't feed the trolls/kooks. Thanks.

What they spred was a very nasty weed that had to be hand dug to get rid of
it,

You saw them spread the weed? How? Transplants? Seed? Herbaceous cuttings?

this appeared right after they areated my lawn.

Ahh! So *that's* how they did it! A core is removed, and a weed transplant
was put in it's place, all in the same pass. Brilliant! Thereby ensuring
that you'll call them back to remove the weeds they secretly transplanted.
Nice marketing strategy.

And maybe the bugs I have now????

Most likely. I believe you when you say that you had zero insects living in
your lawn. Congrats on maintaining such a sterile environment. You'll
probably live to be 100+.

By the way, Steveo, Maybe you wouldn't think this funny if you came out and
renovated my backyard in the 100+ deg. heat.

Maybe the heat had something to do with your lawn dying? Nah. I'm sure your
yard didn't have heat until the lawn died. And, we all know that weeds
don't thrive in heat. And, insects usually take summers off. How often did
you water, btw?

Or, maybe the lawn didn't survive because you totally wrecked the entire
ecosystem that was in place in your yard. Let's see, you dug up the rest of
the lawn. Then you "flooded" it with Sevin.

Could you elaborate on what rate per 1000 square feet, "flooded" is? I
couldn't find it on my bottle of Carbaryl. And, you know that Sevin is not
really a selective pesticide, right? It will kill beneficial organisms as
well as pests. And, it kills on contact.

Then you tilled the lawn. How deep did you till?

At what rate did you apply the compost? How many yards per 1000 square
feet?

Then you tilled again.

One last application of (I'm guessing, your "Bayer granules" was a bit
vague) Imidacloprid. That should take care of any earthworms, parasitic
wasps (which eat grubs, btw), and other beneficial creatures. Oh, and I
don't think I'd put in a vegetable garden in the near future. The label
stipulates that food crops cannot be planted for a year after Imidacloprid
application. Thus, two growing seasons would have elapsed before harvest.
I wonder if kids should play out on a treated lawn before that year is up.
Do ya have kids, Micro?

But, don't worry... the half life is only 720 days. And, apparently, it's
quite alright to treat yearly. Makes sense to me! I guess nematodes were
not on the list of possible solutions to your insect woes.

Don't bother answering this, you're plonked......

I can't speak for him, of course, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't give a
rat's ass that you've plonked him. I wouldn't be suprised if he'd already
killfiled you, nor would I blame him.

You had one "perceived" bad experience with some rinky-dink lawn company,
which probably had nothing to do with your lawn problem, and lumped *ALL*
lawn services into the "not a good thing" category. Ever had a bad
experience at a restaurant? Guess there's no good restaurants, then. Ever
see a bad movie? ALL movies suck! I'm with ya, man.

You come in, ****ing and moaning because you had some weeds, waited too
long, over-reacted, and totally fsked up your lawn, then proceed to ask
advice from people (many of whom are in the lawn-care industry, and come
here freely to help people, if they can), while at the same time slapping
them in the face.

Back to the problem at hand, anyone???

Perhaps the solution would be some therapy sessions?

HTH *woogiewave*
--
Eggs

-Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:43 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Micro*" wrote:
"Jose" wrote in message
news
Steveo wrote:
"Micro*" wrote:

Lawn services are NOT a good thing, they spread things from one lawn

another..DAMHIKT....

Haha! What did they spread to your lawn?

you think that's funny? if you kill a lawn it's just more work for u,
huh. whatta guy.

Thanks for the sympathy Jose.

Here's who "Jose" is, Mico mental midget. You're in good company.

http://www.insurgent.org/~kook-faq/scott/index.html

What they spred was a very nasty weed that had to be hand dug to get rid
of it.

You better put your tin foil hat on and beware of those black helicopters
hovering over your house, asswipe.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:00 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
Please don't feed the trolls/kooks. Thanks.

NOT a troll, just looking for answers!
You saw them spread the weed? How? Transplants? Seed? Herbaceous cuttings?

this appeared right after they areated my law.

And the weeds appeared in the plug holes!!!

Ahh! So *that's* how they did it! A core is removed, and a weed transplant
was put in it's place, all in the same pass. Brilliant!

And maybe the bugs I have now????

Most likely. I believe you when you say that you had zero insects living
in
your lawn. Congrats on maintaining such a sterile environment. You'll
probably live to be 100+.

Maybe I'm wrong, but, I think I said "what you would expect to see"

By the way, Steveo, Maybe you wouldn't think this funny if you came out
and
renovated my backyard in the 100+ deg. heat.

Maybe the heat had something to do with your lawn dying? Nah. I'm sure
your
yard didn't have heat until the lawn died. And, we all know that weeds
don't thrive in heat. And, insects usually take summers off. How often did
you water, btw?

The lawn was doing fine in the heat, the problem started after the heat wave
broke. Watering was done acording to the sod farms instructions.

Or, maybe the lawn didn't survive because you totally wrecked the entire
ecosystem that was in place in your yard. Let's see, you dug up the rest
of
the lawn. Then you "flooded" it with Sevin.

Could you elaborate on what rate per 1000 square feet, "flooded" is? I
couldn't find it on my bottle of Carbaryl. And, you know that Sevin is not
really a selective pesticide, right? It will kill beneficial organisms as
well as pests. And, it kills on contact.

I suppose I shouldn't have used the word "flooded", it was applied at the
recommed rate then watered in,as recommended by the UCSD ag.extension.

Then you tilled the lawn. How deep did you till?

6"

2
Then you tilled again.

One last application of (I'm guessing, your "Bayer granules" was a bit
vague) Imidacloprid.

I don't remember the active ingredient.

That should take care of any earthworms, parasitic
wasps (which eat grubs, btw), and other beneficial creatures. Oh, and I
don't think I'd put in a vegetable garden in the near future. The label
stipulates that food crops cannot be planted for a year after Imidacloprid
application. Thus, two growing seasons would have elapsed before harvest.
I wonder if kids should play out on a treated lawn before that year is up.
Do ya have kids, Micro?

I don't think I'll be planting any veggies in the front lawn in the near
future. Yes I have kids, they're probably older than you and have no green
and purple horns growing out of their heads.

But, don't worry... the half life is only 720 days. And, apparently, it's
quite alright to treat yearly. Makes sense to me! I guess nematodes were
not on the list of possible solutions to your insect woes.

Appplied Bacillus thuringiensis when the problem first appeared before
renovation.

You had one "perceived" bad experience with some rinky-dink lawn company,

Trugreen chemlawn, natonwide, doubt it's "rinky-dink".

which probably had nothing to do with your lawn problem, and lumped *ALL*
lawn services into the "not a good thing" category. Ever had a bad
experience at a restaurant? Guess there's no good restaurants, then.

I suppose if I had a food poisoning in a restaurant and they passed they're
unwashed pots,pans and utensiles to other restaurants, I would lump them all
together.
Do you clean your tools between each lawn. Gosh, why do that, might hurt
business.

You come in, ****ing and moaning because you had some weeds,

Read the original post, it was not about the weeds.

--
"shut up and keep diggen"
Jerry

Old 09-08-2006, 10:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Micro*" wrote:
"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
this appeared right after they areated my lawn.

And the weeds appeared in the plug holes!!!

Newsflash, micro. No one sowed 'invader' seed on your property, the seed
was already in your soil.

This has been a bad year for crabgrass and nustsedge here in Ohio and other
cool season areas.

How much profit would a lawncare service make on -your- stop if they had to
sabotage it while they were doing exactly what you paid them to do?

Not much left in the till if they have to 007 you.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:23 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Micro* said:

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
Please don't feed the trolls/kooks. Thanks.

NOT a troll, just looking for answers!

Not you. The netkook you replied to. You based your opinion on Steveo upon
the kook's comments. While Steveo and I don't see eye-to-eye on some
things, I have the utmost respect for his knowledge of turf grasses and
their care. Killfiling him, based on a netkook's reply to him was *not* a
bright move on your part, IMO.

You saw them spread the weed? How? Transplants? Seed? Herbaceous cuttings?

this appeared right after they areated my law.

And the weeds appeared in the plug holes!!!

Of course they did! Weeds are aggressive nusiances, but they still prefer
the same conditions as the plants you wish to keep (food, water, air),
which you gladly provided when you areated your lawn. You made a bunch of
holes, airborne seeds hit your turf, you water and it washes the seeds down
the holes. Where the fsck do you think they're going to grow?

Ahh! So *that's* how they did it! A core is removed, and a weed transplant
was put in it's place, all in the same pass. Brilliant!

And maybe the bugs I have now????

Most likely. I believe you when you say that you had zero insects living
in
your lawn. Congrats on maintaining such a sterile environment. You'll
probably live to be 100+.

Maybe I'm wrong, but, I think I said "what you would expect to see"

My point, which you obviously failed to grasp, was you *need* some insects
and other organisms to thrive in your lawn, in order for it to stay
healthy. Your choice in treatments, and how aggressive you attacked the
unknown was troubling, to me.

By the way, Steveo, Maybe you wouldn't think this funny if you came out
and
renovated my backyard in the 100+ deg. heat.

Maybe the heat had something to do with your lawn dying? Nah. I'm sure
your
yard didn't have heat until the lawn died. And, we all know that weeds
don't thrive in heat. And, insects usually take summers off. How often did
you water, btw?

The lawn was doing fine in the heat, the problem started after the heat wave
broke. Watering was done acording to the sod farms instructions.

Can you be a bit more specific? I'm not familiar with your "sod farm",
sorry. Was it twice a day? Once a day? For how long, each application?

Or, maybe the lawn didn't survive because you totally wrecked the entire
ecosystem that was in place in your yard. Let's see, you dug up the rest
of
the lawn. Then you "flooded" it with Sevin.

Could you elaborate on what rate per 1000 square feet, "flooded" is? I
couldn't find it on my bottle of Carbaryl. And, you know that Sevin is not
really a selective pesticide, right? It will kill beneficial organisms as
well as pests. And, it kills on contact.

I suppose I shouldn't have used the word "flooded", it was applied at the
recommed rate then watered in,as recommended by the UCSD ag.extension.

Ya, "flooded" was pretty much a poor choice. Still, my point remains that
you didn't just kill what you were after, you killed everything that came
in contact with the Carbaryl, both good and bad. In fact, you didn't
actually know what you were after. You over-reacted, and killed it all.
This leaves your lawn quite vulnerable. The bad "bugs" will most likely
return before the beneficial ones. The balance takes a while to happen.

Then you tilled the lawn. How deep did you till?

6"
At what rate did you apply the compost? How many yards per 1000 square
feet?

2

Two cubic yards per 1000 square feet? Ok, so you top-dressed. The second
tilling was probably over-kill.

Then you tilled again.

One last application of (I'm guessing, your "Bayer granules" was a bit
vague) Imidacloprid.

I don't remember the active ingredient.

Do you remember the product name? I'm pretty sure I'm correct from your
vague description of the product. Still, going on assumptions isn't a good
idea. Again, though, you most likely put down a broad-spectrum pesticide,
further delaying the good health of your lawn.

That should take care of any earthworms, parasitic
wasps (which eat grubs, btw), and other beneficial creatures. Oh, and I
don't think I'd put in a vegetable garden in the near future. The label
stipulates that food crops cannot be planted for a year after Imidacloprid
application. Thus, two growing seasons would have elapsed before harvest.
I wonder if kids should play out on a treated lawn before that year is up.
Do ya have kids, Micro?

I don't think I'll be planting any veggies in the front lawn in the near
future.

You didn't specify the front/side/back lawn until now, did you? You made it
sound as though your entire lawn was affected.

Yes I have kids, they're probably older than you and have no green
and purple horns growing out of their heads.

They *may* be older than me, and if so, then you'd have grandkids running
around on your poisoned turf, and you'd probably be much too old to be
doing your own yardwork. Yes, I have grandkids, and I'm quite careful about
what I treat, and where.

But, don't worry... the half life is only 720 days. And, apparently, it's
quite alright to treat yearly. Makes sense to me! I guess nematodes were
not on the list of possible solutions to your insect woes.

Appplied Bacillus thuringiensis when the problem first appeared before
renovation.

Really? Which strain? It makes a huge difference, you know.

You had one "perceived" bad experience with some rinky-dink lawn company,

Trugreen chemlawn, natonwide, doubt it's "rinky-dink".

which probably had nothing to do with your lawn problem, and lumped *ALL*
lawn services into the "not a good thing" category. Ever had a bad
experience at a restaurant? Guess there's no good restaurants, then.

I suppose if I had a food poisoning in a restaurant and they passed they're
unwashed pots,pans and utensiles to other restaurants, I would lump them all
together.

You're still hung-up on the evil lawn company, huh? You really need to get
past that. Nature put the weeds there, not some conspiring lawn company
employee.

Do you clean your tools between each lawn. Gosh, why do that, might hurt
business.

Just to clarify, I'm a horticulturist, not a lawn specialist. I know about
lawns as part of my training, and my job, but not to the extent of someone
that does it on a daily basis. Oh, and to answer your question about my
tools: If I'm working in a bed that has known disease problems, or I'm
removing toxic plants such as poison ivy or Foxglove, then you betchya I
clean them thoroughly before moving to another location.

You come in, ****ing and moaning because you had some weeds,

Read the original post, it was not about the weeds.

I didn't respond to your original post, did I? The description of the hills
sounds like ants. Not being from San Diego, I am unfamiliar with local
pests, there.

Other than dumping a bunch of pesticides and compost, did you have your
soil tested for the proper nutrients, minerals, and pH levels? Often,
controlling pests is as easy as ensuring the plants have everything they
need. Healthy plants tend to ward-off pests with little intervention from
man.

--
Eggs

-Two peanuts walk into a bar. One was a salted.