Old 31-07-2004, 03:45 AM
RobH

Default Question on removing floating grass

We just bought a house with a beautiful pond filled with a variety of
fish. Trouble is, the previous owner didn't cut the grass, and when
the 1 1/2 foot tall grass was mowed, a lot of it went into the pond.
It's been three weeks now and I removed about half with this tiny net,
but a lot is still there. Any suggestions on how to remove the
remaining grass? The pond is between 4 and 8 feet deep. Is there
some special lightweight net I could use, or vacuum, or should I just
wade in there with someone else and a large net between us (where
would you suggest I could get such a net?)?

Thanks a lot. Rob
Old 31-07-2004, 04:04 AM
Ka30P

Hi Rob,

You could try floading the pond. Adding
water slowly. Too much too rapidly could be a temp. shock for your fish.
It will move all the grass to the lowest
point where you would be able to net it out easier (or at least closer
together).
If there are fish in the pond you need to add a water treatment for chlorine or
chloramines depending on what your city puts in the water.
Only replace about 20% of the water with the flooding.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 02-08-2004, 05:35 AM
Gail Futoran

"RobH" wrote in message
om...
We just bought a house with a beautiful pond filled with a

variety of
fish. Trouble is, the previous owner didn't cut the

grass, and when
the 1 1/2 foot tall grass was mowed, a lot of it went into

the pond.
It's been three weeks now and I removed about half with

this tiny net,
but a lot is still there. Any suggestions on how to

remove the
remaining grass? The pond is between 4 and 8 feet deep.

Is there
some special lightweight net I could use, or vacuum, or

should I just
wade in there with someone else and a large net between us

(where
would you suggest I could get such a net?)?

Thanks a lot. Rob

I have a long-handled, stiff net I bought from
Petsmart in their pond section. I've used that for
netting all kinds of stuff out of the pond, including
grass when my husband used the weed whacker
too close to the pond. The handle is (presumably)
aluminum, and relatively lightweight.

Fish will tend to avoid the net so you should be
able to go fairly deep with it, without accidentally
netting fish, although probably not 8' deep.

There's stuff you can add to the water that's
supposed to help clean up decomposing
plant matter and the like: PondZymePlus, also
available at stores selling pond supplies. Other
ponders here recommend another (similar)
product but I can't find a reference to it, so
maybe someone else will chime in.

Gail

Old 02-08-2004, 02:17 PM
Bob Koerber

RobH wrote:

We just bought a house with a beautiful pond filled with a variety of
fish. Trouble is, the previous owner didn't cut the grass, and when
the 1 1/2 foot tall grass was mowed, a lot of it went into the pond.
It's been three weeks now and I removed about half with this tiny net,
but a lot is still there. Any suggestions on how to remove the
remaining grass? The pond is between 4 and 8 feet deep. Is there
some special lightweight net I could use, or vacuum, or should I just
wade in there with someone else and a large net between us (where
would you suggest I could get such a net?)?

Thanks a lot. Rob

I use a pool net that I attached to a 16' telescoping aluminum paint roller extension handle. Works great and gives lots of reach.

Bob

Old 02-08-2004, 10:22 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Without seeing your pond, size and living plants within, perhaps a leaf
blower could move all the grass to one end. Or use the blowing end off a
shop vac? ~ jan
Old 02-08-2004, 10:22 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us