Old 06-08-2004, 03:43 PM
Karen

Default Filtration

In article , MattR
writes:

2) Nothing else explains why my pond is now clear. I did the usual
plants shade potash potasium advice for two years that pours from this
newsgroup and it did nothing. I put in a big stock tank and three weeks
later my pond cleared up.

and your pond matured naturally. usually when it clears on it's own it stays
that way for quite sometime. plust the 300 gal stock tank didn't hurt.

I had the same problem with my pond, it was twice the size of the pumps I had
and not until I put in the correct size pump and time did it clear on its own.
your case it was the filter.

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 08-08-2004, 08:29 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Nice that your pond cleared. We hear a bunch of different suggestions that
all seem to have proponents and most have reasonable explanations.

Here is our status:

Our pond has been clear for several years now. Loads of plants growing like
mad seems to be the key for us. No icides. No bacterial enzymes. Just
plants and more plants and circulation. The berm ponds collect loads of
much each year and get drained once a year.

Jim

"John" wrote in message
hey everyone. ive been working on my pumps and filtration methods. i used
to pump about 8 gallons a minute through a somewhat thick filter material
and within a week my pond was pretty clear. at the time the filtered

water
went directly into the pond from the filter material. now, i have about
10-15 gallons per minute cascading down a waterfall and the top is filled
with hyacinth. there is no filter material now... when i use filter
material (even with the old set up) i was cleaning the material almost
everyday. i havnt had to change it all now with the hyacinth as my

filters,
but the pond is completely green now. what should i be doing in order to

not
be cleaning my filters everyday and get my pond back to being clean. The
filer is about 1 foot off the bottom of the pond so it doesnt pick up any
muck.. is this correct? any help is appreciated
thanx!
John

Old 15-08-2004, 03:52 PM

how are the sides attached to the bottom?
http://puregold.aquaria.net/mypond/2000/details.htm
I worried about pressure of water sideways pushing sides out. so bolted a wood cleat
to the sides and then screwed it down into the bottom, and on the top after the liner
was installed put strip on top to prevent top of sides bowing out.
when you start putting plants in you will be amazed how they fill in the box and hang
over (if you are putting in a variety of plants, not just WH or WL). It really will
look like a raised garden.
Ingrid

"W. Dale" wrote:
Started building my VG today. Amazing!!, how the best laid plans always
seem to need 'tweaking' as you go along! Long and narrow seems REALLY
long and big now that I have the sides attached to one 8 foot bottom
sections and the other 16 foot section laid out. I decided to use 2X4's
and plywood instead of landscaping timbers. This seems to be a cheaper
way to go for the size of this little puppy: 23.45' X 1.92' and at depth
of 18". I really hope I got this thing right because it looks so big!!

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 15-08-2004, 06:15 PM
W. Dale

Sides are and bottom are attached to 2X4's and screwed together (10
inches apart.) I have been giving the bowing problem some thought and
will brace the sides with 2X4's. That should keep the bowing to a
minimum. I hope I get it all done to day so I can fill it and start
putting in some plants! :-))))))
So maybe I should get off the computer and get back to work. LOL
Thanks for the input.

"W. Dale" wrote:

Started building my VG today. Amazing!!, how the best laid plans always
seem to need 'tweaking' as you go along! Long and narrow seems REALLY
long and big now that I have the sides attached to one 8 foot bottom
sections and the other 16 foot section laid out. I decided to use 2X4's
and plywood instead of landscaping timbers. This seems to be a cheaper
way to go for the size of this little puppy: 23.45' X 1.92' and at depth
of 18". I really hope I got this thing right because it looks so big!!

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 15-08-2004, 06:54 PM
Nedra

Hi Ingrid, Please post the link to your veggie filter and the entire pond.
Dale, you should get some good ideas from Ingrid.

Nedra

"W. Dale" wrote:
Started building my VG today. Amazing!!, how the best laid plans always
seem to need 'tweaking' as you go along! Long and narrow seems REALLY
long and big now that I have the sides attached to one 8 foot bottom
sections and the other 16 foot section laid out. I decided to use 2X4's
and plywood instead of landscaping timbers. This seems to be a cheaper
way to go for the size of this little puppy: 23.45' X 1.92' and at depth
of 18". I really hope I got this thing right because it looks so big!!

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 15-08-2004, 07:27 PM
Ka30P

FYI ~ there is a description of Ingrid's plant filter at the bottom of the
algae primer. Click a the link below my sig. Also lists bv's website which has
plant filter stuff on it.
hope that helps!

kathy :-)
algae primer