Old 07-08-2004, 03:05 PM
Jerry G

Default The "Natural" way.

500 Gallon pond, 10 goldfish, 2 koi.....and after moving some stuff
around the bottom of my pond yesterday.....lots of cr** on the bottom.
It looked like it was snowing poop flakes.

No bottom drain because the pond people kept telling me that I was
making this more complex then necessary when I was designing my pond.

Does anyone have any experience with the organic stuff sold on the
internet to get rid of the fish poo and sludge on the bottom of the
pond?

Are there any animals that live off of this stuff?

I'm really not lazy...I'm not, I'm not!

Is there an alternative to vacumning the bottom of the pond?
Old 07-08-2004, 03:41 PM
Nedra

I think it depends upon how deep the crud is. I would go ahead, bite the
bullet
and vacuum it out. Great on flowers. In the meantime buy some BZT online
or over the phone. This is the microencapsulated bio stuff that will eat
the
crud - if it isn't too deep in your pond.
Go to: www.united-tech.com or phone: 918-610-5205... by phone is really
best because you can ask for the "ponders special" and get 8 oz of
BZT Aquaculture for somewhere around $34.00 ..... Mine lasts over a year
and I have a 2,000 gallon pond :-)

Nedra

m...

Old 07-08-2004, 04:16 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

What Nedra said.

If you have a shop vac with a cannister of 10 gallons or more, you really
ought to try it. It's amazing how much gunk these vacs can suck out of a
pond in the few seconds it takes to fill them up. ~ jan

Jerry G" wrote in message
500 Gallon pond, 10 goldfish, 2 koi.....and after moving some stuff
around the bottom of my pond yesterday.....lots of cr** on the bottom.
It looked like it was snowing poop flakes.

No bottom drain because the pond people kept telling me that I was
making this more complex then necessary when I was designing my pond.

Does anyone have any experience with the organic stuff sold on the
internet to get rid of the fish poo and sludge on the bottom of the
pond?

Are there any animals that live off of this stuff?

I'm really not lazy...I'm not, I'm not!

Is there an alternative to vacumning the bottom of the pond?

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 07-08-2004, 04:27 PM
REBEL JOE

Ponds take work. You have way too many fish for 500 gal. With Koi you
need 1,000 gal. for first koi and 100 for each one after that. They get
real Big.

http://community.webtv.net/rebeljoe/POND

Old 08-08-2004, 12:13 AM

what you need is a filter to remove the crud. I have a long veggie filter and feed
small amounts of high quality food and combined with a net to keep leaves out I have
nothing on the bottom of my pond .. well, some gravel they moved from the lily. my
koi stir up the bottom pretty well and the stuff gets sucked up into the filter and
dumped in the veggie filter. it is going on 4th year now with no mulm on the bottom.
Ingrid

(Jerry G) wrote:

500 Gallon pond, 10 goldfish, 2 koi.....and after moving some stuff
around the bottom of my pond yesterday.....lots of cr** on the bottom.
It looked like it was snowing poop flakes.

No bottom drain because the pond people kept telling me that I was
making this more complex then necessary when I was designing my pond.

Does anyone have any experience with the organic stuff sold on the
internet to get rid of the fish poo and sludge on the bottom of the
pond?

Are there any animals that live off of this stuff?

I'm really not lazy...I'm not, I'm not!

Is there an alternative to vacumning the bottom of the pond?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 08-08-2004, 02:01 AM
bmuller

We use a plastic snow shovel and scoop out the excess every fall. We do it
in early fall, as in late fall we often wake up sleeping frogs that have
burrowed down in there.

m...

Old 09-08-2004, 11:04 PM
Jason Garner

Someone mentioned in another thread that you can get bottom feeder fish like
the ones in tropical fish tanks -get some of those but be warned he also
said that once you put them in the pond you'll never see them again :-)
"bmuller" wrote in message
We use a plastic snow shovel and scoop out the excess every fall. We do it
in early fall, as in late fall we often wake up sleeping frogs that have
burrowed down in there.

m...

Old 10-08-2004, 03:46 AM
Jerry G

"bmuller" wrote in message
We use a plastic snow shovel and scoop out the excess every fall. We do it
in early fall, as in late fall we often wake up sleeping frogs that have
burrowed down in there.

"Jerry G" wrote in message
m...
500 Gallon pond, 10 goldfish, 2 koi.....and after moving some stuff
around the bottom of my pond yesterday.....lots of cr** on the bottom.
It looked like it was snowing poop flakes.

No bottom drain because the pond people kept telling me that I was
making this more complex then necessary when I was designing my pond.

Does anyone have any experience with the organic stuff sold on the
internet to get rid of the fish poo and sludge on the bottom of the
pond?

Are there any animals that live off of this stuff?

I'm really not lazy...I'm not, I'm not!

Is there an alternative to vacumning the bottom of the pond?

But the bottom feeder fish have to go potty too!