Old 04-08-2004, 02:08 PM
Mostyn

Default Advice Needed

I just require a little advice.
I was just wondering which type of pump would be best.

1/ A pump that sits on the bottom of the pond and pipes going upto a filer
and returns back.

2/ Or a pump that sits in a pump house out side the pond and pipes run from
the pond through the pump then into a filter & uv light & back to the pond.

does anyone have any comments as to which one would be the best.
Thanks
Mostyn

Old 04-08-2004, 02:15 PM
Crashj

"Mostyn" wrote in message
I just require a little advice.
I was just wondering which type of pump would be best.

That is not a 'little advice' ;-)
Before the rest of the group wakes up and starts posting, you might want to
post more info on your [planned?] pond.
How big, plants only or plants and fish, where are you geographically, where
is the pond relative to buildings and trees.
You see where I am going with this?
This is because size matters. A small pump can be installed in the water but
a big unit is more like a swimming pool and would be external.
--
Crashj "just what I think I have learned here" Johnson

Old 18-08-2004, 03:19 PM
mostyn30

Hi All
Thanks for the responses, right here go's
the size of the pond is 12ftx12ftx3ft I have already constructed it and is
too late to put in a sump drain.
I was thinking of an external pump with suction pipe in one end and a return
pipe into the other to make a contraflow/vortex then a small 500 hoselock
pump to run my waterfall both systems running through a separate UV lights
but the main pump running through a filter as well.
let me know what you think to this idea.
to see the location of my pond to buildings and soforth check out my site
but it's not upto date it was last updated last September and a lot has been
done since then, I will update my site after the whole garden is finished.
take a look and let me know your views please.
yours Mostyn
www.mostynpondlife.com

#1 works for a small, light stocked water garden, BV mentioned the
potential problem of draining the pond. There are automatic shut offs
available. (Mercury Flow Switches)

#2 is better for bigger system, but still not ideal, imo. Better is to

have
the pump after the filter, less wear and tear on the pump and muck isn't
ground up into tiny bits that can by-pass the filter.

As far as pumps, external pumps are more efficient as they give more gph
using less energy, but a submersible can still be used in an out-of-pond
filtration unit. I have this type of system diagrammed on my website, with
plumbing added after the pond was been in and plumbing correctly when put
in at the same time as the pond. See *My Filter* *Demon Pond Filter* &
*Lily Pond* with the last set showing what the plumbing looks like under
the pond. There are of course all sorts of variations.

My lily pond at this time has set up #1 until we put in (read: have money)
the out of pond filter & pump. ~ jan
~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

#1 works for a small, light stocked water garden, BV mentioned the

#2 is better for bigger system, but still not ideal, imo. Better is to

have
the pump after the filter, less wear and tear on the pump and muck isn't
ground up into tiny bits that can by-pass the filter.

As far as pumps, external pumps are more efficient as they give more gph
using less energy, but a submersible can still be used in an out-of-pond
filtration unit. I have this type of system diagrammed on my website, with
plumbing added after the pond was been in and plumbing correctly when put
in at the same time as the pond. See *My Filter* *Demon Pond Filter* &
*Lily Pond* with the last set showing what the plumbing looks like under
the pond. There are of course all sorts of variations.

My lily pond at this time has set up #1 until we put in (read: have money)
the out of pond filter & pump. ~ jan
~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

advice needed for spring cleaning ande Ponds 4 22-05-2003 07:44 AM
Grapefruit tree advice needed David Shalita Edible Gardening 0 01-05-2003 04:08 AM
Plant Newbie Advice Needed Frank Mamone Freshwater Aquaria Plants 10 27-02-2003 01:53 PM
Expert advice needed Theo Bonsai 1 25-02-2003 04:15 PM
Punica :Expert advice needed Theo Bonsai 0 24-02-2003 08:00 PM