Old 12-08-2004, 04:43 AM
G & K Meyer

Default How to use Barley straw

I got a bail of straw now I want to use it on my waterfall pond. Can I just
put it in a bag like what you get oranges in? Should I pack it in really
tight or kind of loose? I was thinking of putting it in the upper fall pond
area does it make a difference where you place it? And how much should I
use, can you use to much? The pond is about 1000 gal.
Any and all help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-08-2004, 06:12 AM
Ka30P

I found this page for the algae primer,
It has some helpful info.
http://www.aquabotanic.com/barleyarticle.html

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 12-08-2004, 06:12 AM
Ka30P

Old 12-08-2004, 07:51 PM
Chester Deja

"G & K Meyer" wrote in message ...
I got a bail of straw now I want to use it on my waterfall pond. Can I just
put it in a bag like what you get oranges in? Should I pack it in really
tight or kind of loose? I was thinking of putting it in the upper fall pond
area does it make a difference where you place it? And how much should I
use, can you use to much? The pond is about 1000 gal.
Any and all help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Loose is best because it will provide more surface area to the water.
You also want some circulation buy it because as it decays and
releases the hydrogen peroxide you want to circulate that. I use mesh
bags like orange bags and put them near my pump outlet. I seriously
doubt you can use too much and I would say that your orange bag might
be enough but having two of them would not hurt anything. I have two
'bale' bags in my 55' x 35' pond and as long as the sun and heat does
not beat the pond for days on end it keeps it pretty clear. In my
limited (years) experience algae blooms do not like rain, clouds or
cooler (85 or less) weather. I am still growing a pong plant base to
use all the nutrients and balence out the pond so algae can be easier
to control. Right now the score is plants 15, algae 100 but I do see
the bottom plants I put in last year spreading all over the bottom of
the pond.

Rick
Old 14-08-2004, 03:31 AM
Ed J

Take a look at the following on straw...
http://www.exit109.com/~gosta/pondstrw.sht

Other articles at the same site are...
http://www.exit109.com/~gosta/pondlink.sht

---------------------------------
Ed J edj22 at attglobal dot net
Do not reply to default 'reply' address. Change to above address minus the
blanks.
---------------------------------

Old 14-08-2004, 04:01 PM
Stephen M. Henning

Check out:

http://www.baleinabag.net/pondtreat.asp

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

Barley straw question elaine Ponds 61 13-01-2011 02:17 PM
barley straw vs oats straw? G & K Meyer Ponds 5 13-05-2004 06:04 PM
Barley Straw Extract for Green Water Algae ? Shawn P. Good Freshwater Aquaria Plants 41 06-04-2004 09:35 PM
Barley Straw tasha Ponds 5 26-11-2003 12:02 AM
Barley straw Gene Ponds 3 12-11-2003 04:42 PM