Old 15-08-2004, 02:05 PM
Larry

Default How many gallons is my pond?

Everyone here seems to know how much their pond holds. Is there a
formula to help one figure it out.

My pond is lower receptacle(pond) is 3'x3'xabout 16". Figuring out
the volume is easy but how does that translate into gallons?

Thanks,

Larry
Southern Ontario
Old 15-08-2004, 03:12 PM
Grubber

"Larry" wrote in message
Everyone here seems to know how much their pond holds. Is there a
formula to help one figure it out.

My pond is lower receptacle(pond) is 3'x3'xabout 16". Figuring out
the volume is easy but how does that translate into gallons?

Thanks,

Larry
Southern Ontario

7.5 gallons per cubic foot.

Old 15-08-2004, 04:15 PM
Stephen M. Henning

Larry wrote:

My pond is lower receptacle(pond) is 3'x3'xabout 16". Figuring out
the volume is easy but how does that translate into gallons?

That is 3'x3'x1.33' or 12 cubic feet.

There are 7.48 gallons per cubic foot so you have

12 x 7.48 or 90 gallons.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 15-08-2004, 04:35 PM
Larry

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 11:15:11 -0400, "Stephen M. Henning"
wrote:

Larry wrote:

My pond is lower receptacle(pond) is 3'x3'xabout 16". Figuring out
the volume is easy but how does that translate into gallons?

That is 3'x3'x1.33' or 12 cubic feet.

There are 7.48 gallons per cubic foot so you have

12 x 7.48 or 90 gallons.

Thanks to all. Quick responses in this ng ;-}

Larry
Southern Ontario

Old 15-08-2004, 05:26 PM
Phisherman

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 09:05:01 -0400, Larry wrote:

Everyone here seems to know how much their pond holds. Is there a
formula to help one figure it out.

My pond is lower receptacle(pond) is 3'x3'xabout 16". Figuring out
the volume is easy but how does that translate into gallons?

Thanks,

Larry
Southern Ontario

There are about 231 cubic inches in a gallon, so

36x36x16/231 = 89.7 gallons

Old 17-08-2004, 02:33 AM
Clurrie

Larry wrote:

Everyone here seems to know how much their pond holds. Is there a
formula to help one figure it out.

My pond is lower receptacle(pond) is 3'x3'xabout 16". Figuring out
the volume is easy but how does that translate into gallons?

Thanks,

Larry
Southern Ontario

Calculate volume in cubic inches. Divide by 231 for American Gallonw,
277 for Imperial Gallons. :O)
Old 17-08-2004, 04:39 AM
southernbc

I calculated mine based on a pond calculator on pondliners.com and
thought I had 1200 gallons (reasonably close). When I went to fill the
pond I timed how long it took to fill a 5 gallon bucket then timed how
long it took to fill the pond and did the calculation. (58 seconds to
fill 5 Gallons = 11.6 SECONDS PER GALLON) divide filling time in seconds
by your own rate of fill for a close estimate on the actual pond volume.
It turned out to be just over 1000 gallons if my estimate is correct.

Don Southern BC

Larry wrote:

Everyone here seems to know how much their pond holds. Is there a
formula to help one figure it out.

My pond is lower receptacle(pond) is 3'x3'xabout 16". Figuring out
the volume is easy but how does that translate into gallons?

Thanks,

Larry
Southern Ontario

CHerokee Purple Tomato-Twisted many many lobed fruit with odd scars DigitalVinyl Gardening 4 02-08-2005 02:22 PM
How many gallons is my pond? chagoi Ponds 11 17-08-2004 04:52 AM
gallons per fish bk Ponds 15 19-11-2003 01:42 AM
How many koi is too many koi Carl Beyer Ponds 16 17-08-2003 12:04 AM
Japanese Snails - How Many is too many? Sean R. Kerns Ponds 2 24-06-2003 02:56 PM