Old 10-02-2003, 02:55 PM
bk

Default gallons per fish

I've seen the ratio of 100 gallons per Koi.

We;; Koi come in many sizes. Is this for a six inch or 16" fish.

Currently I have about six Fantails three 4" comets and 3 4-6" koi in a 1200
gallon pond.

I want to find a new home for the comets and get a couple of larger koi
(6-8")

any advise??

Old 10-02-2003, 03:25 PM
John Rutz

bk wrote:
I've seen the ratio of 100 gallons per Koi.

We;; Koi come in many sizes. Is this for a six inch or 16" fish.

Currently I have about six Fantails three 4" comets and 3 4-6" koi in a 1200
gallon pond.

I want to find a new home for the comets and get a couple of larger koi
(6-8")

any advise??

curent theory 1000 gal for 1 Koi 100 g each aditional
Koi can grow from 6 in to 16 in in one good summer

--
John Rutz

I'm not Porg am not am not am so
see my pond at:
http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 10-02-2003, 03:25 PM
Lee Brouillet

John's correct, but you can increase the number if you have excellent water
parameters and over-filtration. Gotta keep an eye on it, but it can be done.
It seems that as soon as you have enough fish in your pond to make it look
nice, it's too many. And (they forgot to tell me this, too!), if you don't
kill them, they GROW. and BREED. Keep your water squeeky clean.

Lee

Old 10-02-2003, 05:26 PM
bk

So I've really got room for 3 koi.
Per these instructions the fantails gotta go.
Or ----
How many fantails can I have with normal filtration?

Old 10-02-2003, 05:55 PM
Sam Hopkins

In aquariums it's 1 inch of fish per gallon of water. If you use a fluidizer
it goes up to 12 inches of fish per gallon.

Sam

Old 10-02-2003, 07:25 PM
mad

actually, that measurement is for tropicals, i understand. for goldies it's
10 gals/fish. i am willing to be corrected if necessary.
mad
--
"What the world really needs is more love and less paperwork".
Pearl Bailey

Old 10-02-2003, 08:55 PM
Sam Hopkins

It's a filter that holds sand. A pump pumps water up and through the sand
and back into the tank. When you look at the clear filter container you'll
see a container full of swirling sand. My fluidizer is about 3 inches X 14
inches X 2 inches. What it does is provide 234 square feet of space for
bacteria to grow on. This extra space for bacteria allows more bacteria to
be present and convert ammonia/nitrite/nitrate into nitrate.

Sam

"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...

Old 14-02-2003, 12:03 AM
MWLienhart

If you want to get a better way of calculating fish load there is a formula on
the Koivet site that is far more accurate than using the old myth formulas of
inches per gallon. One problem with the inches per gallon method is that one
12" fish weighs the same as almost 200 two inch fish. The formula there can
still be off by at least half (some fish are thin, some thick) but that is far
better than the old method which really only works well when comparing fish of
all the same size.

Mikel

Old 15-02-2003, 12:39 AM
~ jan

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 08:10:02 -0500, "bk" wrote:

Sounds like this would last about two weeks in a pond

Goldfish, in an aquarium, I agree with mad 10/fish. Outside with mother
nature tossing in her own debris I think it's more like 20
gallons/goldfish, still... adequate filtration is key.

I put 2 fantails in my lily pond of 1,000 gallons with no filtration,
fantails are not as prolific as comets.

I have 15 koi in 1500 gallons, super filtration. Now that they getting
larger I'm starting to cull the herd. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 15-02-2003, 04:00 PM
MISSYMAGICGIRL

I have Hopefully 12 Koi's still after this winter, in a 1,100 gallon pond. I
have good filteration and plants galore. Me and my hubby will be looking for a
house I think by the time they get too large for this pond.

Sacha
Old 15-02-2003, 09:39 PM
RichToyBox

Sacha,

Going to buy a house this summer, huh.
--
RichToyBox

Old 15-02-2003, 10:51 PM
Howard

I'll bet you think RichToyBox was kidding.
A friend of mine put in a pond last summer.
He expanded it in the fall and is talking about
making it larger this winter ! This is not
uncommon.

Its not a hobby its an addiction.

Howard

Old 16-02-2003, 12:15 AM
Howard

I am in the same boat (execpt for the kids thing ). Also need space
for more workshops, ponds, greenhouses, ponds in greenhouses, and
about a half dozen old cars.

We have two ponds that total about 10k gallons. The large informal
one is for koi and lots of plants. The formal is goldfish and mostly water
lillies. In the fall I bring the goldfish inside, move the koi to the
formal
pond and put a hoophouse over it for the winter. We do not heat it
but the water stays open all winter and we get a head start on spring.
www.howardTheHumble.com This fall we used 2 inch steel pipes as
a backbone for the hoophouse in that it had grown too big to be PVC
alone.

Howard

"MISSYMAGICGIRL" wrote in message
I know he was kidding! I need more land, not only for thoses damm fish

but
for me to have a Green House, of course a larger pond and some land for me

plant and the kids to play when I have them in the future.

Damm Fish! hehe

Sacha