Old 06-09-2004, 10:14 PM
Nedra

Oh yes indeed, Kathy - I have a wonderful veggie filter. It is crammed
full of WH,
water celery and huge yellow iris. Winter care is basically just remove the
WH after the first frost.
Irises stay in the filter as does the water celery. They (iris) need to be
divided this year for sure.
I keep the filter
full of water all winter long. It does get iced up and an air stone keeps a
nice sized hole
open. This year I'll probably vac it out. I'm sure it needs it. Can't
think of anything else
I do.

Nedra

"Ka30P" wrote in message
Nedra, I can't remember but do you run a veggie filter? And if you do what
kinds of plants to you use in it? What winter care do you give it?

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 06-09-2004, 10:18 PM
Nedra

I just looked up the zone map and boy oh boy am I ever wrong. We have a zone
4 up around
northern Missouri - then, zone 5 cuts in and is south - way south of
Highway 70. Anyway Zone
6 is the lower portion of the state... then zone 7 is the bottom most. If
you want to see this here's
what I do... just Google Zone Map. lololol - sorry I don't have the link.

Nedra

"Nedra" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi Kathy and Dave ....
It's me - Nedra. I live a bit south of St. Louis but I'm somewhat

familiar
with outstate Missouri.
My zone here is 6 - I think Dave may be zone 5 or zone 6... depending ;-)
The Zone maps cut the state in two - Basically along Highway 70.
The bootheel it so far south it is in zone 7.
HTH

Nedra

"Ka30P" wrote in message
Dave wrote Thanks Kathy.....I live in central Missouri whatever zone

that is

I paged Nedra in the header, she lives in Missouri. I tend to think of

Missouri
as part of the steamy south but from reading Nedra's posts over the

years
I was
surprised to find it can get rather wintery!
Water hyacinth is a great veggie filter plant because of its nice long

roots,
they gather up muck and use up the nutrients.
You can find out if they are illegal in your state by searching
'Missouri, noxious aquatic plants'. What states are concerned about is

ponders
dumping their excess plants in natural waterways or ponders who live on

floodplain and their plants all get washed away.
Other good filter plants are water celery, watercress, water mint.

Others
will
chime in.

Hi Dave,
Some of your questions' answers will be better answered if we knew

what
area of
the country you live in and what your garden zone is.

Here in zone 7, SE WA, arid, I'd plant moss in the spring and I use

water
hyacinth in my veggie filter and watercress in my waterfall.
Some plants are actively discouraged and outright illegal in some

parts
of
the
country (SE USA and water hyacinth come to mind).
In the winter I don't heat my pond. I usually use an air pump and

bubbler
keep a hole open in the ice or a stock tank heater.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 06-09-2004, 11:17 PM
Ka30P

Thanks Nedra, that's a great answer
for the original poster's question.
Surprising that you all have a zone 4!
Never thought of Missouri being that
cold!

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 07-09-2004, 05:06 AM
Crashj

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 04:21:04 GMT, "Wilson"
wrote:

Setting up my pond right now

My pond will have a small top pond
acting as a veggie filter....what is the best plant for that? (no fish in top pond)

Hah! That's what they all say. I have at least three fry in there
right now. I wonder if they rode the filter pump (Definite E ticket!)
or if fertile eggs got pumped up there?
--
Crashj

Old 07-09-2004, 05:06 AM
Crashj

wrote:

Setting up my pond right now

My pond will have a small top pond
acting as a veggie filter....what is the best plant for that? (no fish in top pond)

Hah! That's what they all say. I have at least three fry in there
right now. I wonder if they rode the filter pump (Definite E ticket!)
or if fertile eggs got pumped up there?
--
Crashj
--
Crashj

advice needed for spring cleaning ande Ponds 4 22-05-2003 07:44 AM
Grapefruit tree advice needed David Shalita Edible Gardening 0 01-05-2003 04:08 AM
Plant Newbie Advice Needed Frank Mamone Freshwater Aquaria Plants 10 27-02-2003 01:53 PM
Expert advice needed Theo Bonsai 1 25-02-2003 04:15 PM
Punica :Expert advice needed Theo Bonsai 0 24-02-2003 08:00 PM