Old 06-09-2004, 05:21 AM
Wilson

Default Advice needed

Setting up my pond right now.....the basics of it now to be finished next
spring, I'll be having a rock stepping stone pathway to the pond from my
patio and I want moss grown in between stones. What is the best type moss
to use and the best time to plant?? My pond will have a small top pond
acting as a veggie filter....what is the best plant for that? (no fish in
top pond)

Thanks in advance.....

Dave

Old 06-09-2004, 05:29 AM
Wilson

"Wilson" wrote in message
m...
Setting up my pond right now.....the basics of it now to be finished next
spring, I'll be having a rock stepping stone pathway to the pond from my
patio and I want moss grown in between stones. What is the best type moss
to use and the best time to plant?? My pond will have a small top pond
acting as a veggie filter....what is the best plant for that? (no fish in
top pond)

Thanks in advance.....

Dave

Just 1 more question.....

My pond is going to be sunk in an above ground flow garden for easy
access....other than having to have a heater for the winter? will this setup
cause any other problems I'm not aware of ?

Thanks again....

Dave

Old 06-09-2004, 05:40 AM
Ka30P

Hi Dave,
Some of your questions' answers will be better answered if we knew what area of
the country you live in and what your garden zone is.

Here in zone 7, SE WA, arid, I'd plant moss in the spring and I use water
hyacinth in my veggie filter and watercress in my waterfall.
Some plants are actively discouraged and outright illegal in some parts of the
country (SE USA and water hyacinth come to mind).
In the winter I don't heat my pond. I usually use an air pump and bubbler to
keep a hole open in the ice or a stock tank heater.

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 06-09-2004, 03:08 PM
Wilson

"Ka30P" wrote in message
Hi Dave,
Some of your questions' answers will be better answered if we knew what

area of
the country you live in and what your garden zone is.

Here in zone 7, SE WA, arid, I'd plant moss in the spring and I use water
hyacinth in my veggie filter and watercress in my waterfall.
Some plants are actively discouraged and outright illegal in some parts of

the
country (SE USA and water hyacinth come to mind).
In the winter I don't heat my pond. I usually use an air pump and bubbler

keep a hole open in the ice or a stock tank heater.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Thanks Kathy.....I live in central Missouri whatever zone that is

Dave

Old 06-09-2004, 04:38 PM
Dave and Miss

Hey Dave...I too have a stone path leading from patio to pond (
http://photos.yahoo.com/jeepin9557 ) and have had no luck with moss growing
between the stepping stones since my path is in full sun. I tried many
different types of "stepables" and the wooly thyme and creeping thyme have
done well in full sun. However, if you have a shady path, you may have more
luck than I with moss. Here is a good link to a site pertaining to moss
http://www.mossacres.com/moss/ Good luck.......Dave
"Wilson" wrote in message
m...

Old 06-09-2004, 05:25 PM
Wilson

"Dave and Miss" wrote in message
Hey Dave...I too have a stone path leading from patio to pond (
http://photos.yahoo.com/jeepin9557 ) and have had no luck with moss

growing
between the stepping stones since my path is in full sun. I tried many
different types of "stepables" and the wooly thyme and creeping thyme have
done well in full sun. However, if you have a shady path, you may have

more
luck than I with moss. Here is a good link to a site pertaining to moss
http://www.mossacres.com/moss/ Good luck.......Dave

Thanks! That's a great site which will answer most of my questions.....I'm
jealous of your ponds btw, very nice.

Dave

Old 06-09-2004, 06:27 PM
Ka30P

Dave wrote Thanks Kathy.....I live in central Missouri whatever zone that is

I paged Nedra in the header, she lives in Missouri. I tend to think of Missouri
as part of the steamy south but from reading Nedra's posts over the years I was
surprised to find it can get rather wintery!
Water hyacinth is a great veggie filter plant because of its nice long roots,
they gather up muck and use up the nutrients.
You can find out if they are illegal in your state by searching
'Missouri, noxious aquatic plants'. What states are concerned about is ponders
dumping their excess plants in natural waterways or ponders who live on a
floodplain and their plants all get washed away.
Other good filter plants are water celery, watercress, water mint. Others will
chime in.

Old 06-09-2004, 06:52 PM
Nedra

Hi Kathy and Dave ....
It's me - Nedra. I live a bit south of St. Louis but I'm somewhat familiar
with outstate Missouri.
My zone here is 6 - I think Dave may be zone 5 or zone 6... depending ;-)
The Zone maps cut the state in two - Basically along Highway 70.
The bootheel it so far south it is in zone 7.
HTH

Nedra

Old 06-09-2004, 08:02 PM
Ka30P

Nedra, I can't remember but do you run a veggie filter? And if you do what
kinds of plants to you use in it? What winter care do you give it?

kathy :-)
algae primer

advice needed for spring cleaning ande Ponds 4 22-05-2003 07:44 AM
Grapefruit tree advice needed David Shalita Edible Gardening 0 01-05-2003 04:08 AM
Plant Newbie Advice Needed Frank Mamone Freshwater Aquaria Plants 10 27-02-2003 01:53 PM
Expert advice needed Theo Bonsai 1 25-02-2003 04:15 PM
Punica :Expert advice needed Theo Bonsai 0 24-02-2003 08:00 PM